View Single Post
Old 04-01-2016, 09:15 AM   #16
rwidman
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adagio43 View Post
Questions from a sailor thinking Trawler:
On boats with multiple steering stations do you have to disengage/engage when you change locations or do they mirror each other. I'm talking steering, throttle and forward/reverse.

AC/DC refrigeration:
On these multiple current refrigeration units are there compressors that run off both AC & DC, two compressors or an internal inverter/converter.

Electric stoves:
Why instead of propane. Are they initially cheaper, are people afraid of propane or ??? I ask because I can't see firing up the genset to make a cup of coffee.

These questions may appear dumb but coming from the sailing world these questions are all mysteries to me. Have your fun but I hope in the end I get some answers. Thanks
I can only answer based on my own boat.

I don't have to engage or disengage anything when moving from the lower helm to the upper helm. The steering is hydraulic and the throttle and gearshift are interconnected cables.

My refrigerator runs on AC if available, DC if not. It's what is commonly called an "AC/DC refrigerator and is probably the most common kind on a relatively small boat.

I don't know why anyone would put an electric stove on a boat. Mine is propane. I do have a large battery bank and inverter so I can also use a microwave oven and a coffee pot (but not at the same time).
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote