Safety mesh around flybridge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Islanddreamer

Vessel Name
Harmony
Vessel Make
Pacemaker 1990 37' Convertible
There is an Albin 36 for sale in Stuart, FL that has an interesting mesh screening around the FB rail. The pic is about 22 photos deep on YW.

Can anyone here ID this product / fabric for me? I have a fellow that does canvas and fabric, but I like the see-through capability of this material

mike

Here is the link:

1979 Albin Yachts Flybridge Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

5050641_20150408075738864_1_XLARGE.jpg

I snagged the picture but didn't know how to post it. Thanks!

mike

PS - any opinions on the painted bright work? I'm wavering between how clean it looks versus looking sterile....

Last edited:
I wonder if it's a type of sunscreen. I have some like that for my side and front windows. My FB canvas is Sunbrella. Not sure of the sunscreen brand. They go together well.

img_428521_0_1d9a4f60ebe037a2c7f4ba656c0bd201.jpg

I think they'd look more see through on an open rail. There are varying densities to choose from.

Last edited:
What's the advantage of the screen? And if it so advantageous, why not along the lower deck? Sunscreen? Don't see any overhead coverage aft of the helm position on the flying bridge.

Last edited:
The advantage of the screen is to keep grandkids and anything they may have in their hands aboard ship versus a solid canvas that I can't see through to back into the dock.

Bless you PSNeeld! Thanks. That is why I love this forum.

I had it around the flybridge of a Camano 31 I owned, it is good stuff it had grommets every 8" or so and laced onto the SS rails. My current boat has lower helm window covers made of it it lets some light in while shading, it has snaps on the corners.

The advantage of the screen is to keep grandkids and anything they may have in their hands aboard ship versus a solid canvas that I can't see through to back into the dock.

So, the boat's owner doesn't care about children on the lower deck?

Surely it's not the same when you consider boats with high bullwarks.

Showed this to a chap I know that dose canvas work and fits out caravans and campers. His opinion is the mesh is used as a wind blocker instead of canvas where one cant see through seem logical

I think our mesh front windshield cover (for high summer) is Textilene; comes in different densities.

-Chris

Greetings,
Mr. mp. "So, the boat's owner doesn't care about children on the lower deck?" Could be the owner has small animals as well as grandkids and the higher bulwarks on the lower deck, as mentioned, would somewhat provide a modicum of protection.

I agree with Mr. g. Any children we've ever had on board always gravitate to the wonderful, open air, shaded fly bridge rather than staying cooped up in the pilothouse.

Mike

Take a look at Rochford.com
I've purchased a lot of "canvas", mesh & supplies from them
Also check their Bargains seconds

I've used a lot of the white 10 oz mesh for windshield / window sun screens

( tried to post links but lost my post due to a poor Inet connection - let me know if you need more info)

Last edited:
You can purchase 4 X 4 inch samples from Sailrite for a dollar apiece to be sure you know what the fabrics look like. I ordered eight different samples for a future project an one was exactly what I had in mind.

flybridge equals playpen

100% correct the "playpen" is the best place to be on the boat great views fresh air doubles the size of the boats entertaining area tits and jiggles Pimms and tonic beers BBQs topless babes
No wonder I cant stand caravans :D

flybridge equals playpen

TBH, I feel more penned in on boats without much outdoor access and view. Put me down below like on a sailboat and I feel cooped up.

I appreciate a flybridge, a cockpit and large windows for a great view and good flexibility. The use of screens and nets can augment safety while not restricting the view. Seems like a win-win to me.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--lifeline-netting--P008_242_003_501

This is what I used to put up the 'GrandKid Catcher' on my boat.

Although I didn't add any more pad eyes or mounts, it gave the bottom of the netting a hokey appearance just using what is there. I'm ok with that, because the youngest should be fall proof in another year. (Or so). Then I will take it down. ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1459476922.306176.jpg

It is either Phifertex or the mosquito mesh from Sailrite, or something similar.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom