Seahorse Coot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been aboard Comorant while she was in Anacortes, WA. I met her owners, both airline pilots, and can confidently say that they've maintained her in bristol condition. If anyone is in the market for a safe, seakindly and meticulously maintained 35' "trawler" perfectly suited for the PNW waters this ones for you.

She doesn't appear to be stern heavy when I took this photo of her in Anacortes:

9631-albums319-picture2804.jpg

Last edited:
Carquinez Coot is stern heavy (but with visible waterline stripe) with full tanks. It and the Cormorant were simultaneously built (hulls 5 and 6.)

Stern to stern in China:

The Cormorant has a different arrangement in the saloon/galley. For instance, it has a full-sized refrigerator and more pantry space.

That is because Coots were designed to have oversized anchors and miles of all chain like all real cruisers do. :)

Carquinez Coot is stern heavy (but with visible waterline stripe) with full tanks.
Better stern heavy than bow heavy! I never get tired of looking at the Seahorse line!:dance:

Most coots I've ever seen, here in Carquinez Strait, off of Benicia, earlier this year:

The white spot on the back of their necks and profile suggest surf scooters (???).

Don't think so. Winter is the coot's time here, most frequently seen at Martinez, across the strait from Benicia. Scooters are larger, and didn't see any lighter-colored females.

I too saw the Comorant in Anacortes, WA a few years ago. The owners have used the boat but it looks new. The boat was immaculate and it was hard to believe the boat had been used.

Later,
Dan

I too saw the Comorant in Anacortes, WA a few years ago. The owners have used the boat but it looks new. The boat was immaculate and it was hard to believe the boat had been used.

Later,
Dan

Actually Dan, it was less than two years ago, May of 2014 to be precise, when we were in Anacortes, WA. Great time for sure spending time aboard the Seahorse Marine Diesel Duck 462 'Shearwater' and the Seahorse Coot 'Comorant' featured above. Couldn't agree with you more about the condition of Cormorant.

Last edited:
Took a while finding the price.
For Aussies the name is a reminder of the battle to the sinking loss of both, between the disguised German WW2 raider Kormoran, and HMAS Sydney, in 1941, in the Indian Ocean. Kormoran would pose as a merchant vessel to draw in potential targets, and then reveal her real identity, using her substantial armaments.
Fortunately, this Cormorant will draw in interested buyers for a good looking boat.

Looks stern heavy.

I think the natural stern heaviness when tanked is due to the mfgrs. assumption that a flying bridge would be added.....I mean, who wouldn't order a flying bridge?:hide::whistling:

I think the natural stern heaviness when tanked is due to the mfgrs. assumption that a flying bridge would be added.....I mean, who wouldn't order a flying bridge?:hide::whistling:

Hardy har, har! :)

Actually Dan, it was less than two years ago, May of 2014 to be precise, when we were in Anacortes, WA. Great time for sure spending time aboard the Seahorse Marine Diesel Duck 462 'Shearwater' and the Seahorse Coot 'Comorant' featured above. Couldn't agree with you more about the condition of Cormorant.

May 2014 seems like yesterday. Where has the time gone? :eek: Twas a great trip that is for sure!

Later,
Dan

What is the benefit of having a folding swim platform, other than to minimize docking fees?

How old is the Willard 30?

Can't give you a DOB for the W30 but mine is a 74. And I don't recall any earlier. Just off the top. The 36 Willard was made in the 60's. Some W30's were made in the late 80's and four PH W30's in about 2000. Willard still makes boats (if you can call them that) but most are dinosaur sized rubber duckies for the military and law enforcement use. Willard toyed w the idea of building a 50' boat w a typical Willard hull not too long ago but Willard makes no pleasure boats at this time and seemingly has no plans. The 2016 Rendezvous is coming up in May.

Attachments

• willard 006 copy.jpg
    willard 006 copy.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCF0758 copy.jpg
    DSCF0758 copy.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCF1014 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF1014 copy 2.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCF1010 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF1010 copy 2.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 80
  • all to 12-15-09 421 copy.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 421 copy.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
What is the benefit of having a folding swim platform, other than to minimize docking fees?

I didn't order the swim platform option on my Coot. The builder mistakenly installed it so I got it free.

I rarely use the platform and keep it raised since it drags in the water while underway. The platform is low, so it makes a good bow landing for a soft-bottomed dinghy. When raised, ducks can't use it and deposit their droppings.

Last edited:
You can see in pic 2 above why a swim platform is often called a duckboard in Australia.

I can't even make up my mind between monohull or cat...but every time I see a Coot I fall in love with it!

I can't even make up my mind between monohull or cat...but every time I see a Coot I fall in love with it!
I know exactly what you mean...they are very "salty" looking.:thumb:

In Louisiana Bayou - "Snake Board"!

In that case, it would probably be a Gator board in South Florida :)
Like to hear from anyone in northern Queensland, or the Northern Territory(doubt we have any TF member there)if they have seen a crocodile on the "board". I`ve seen crocs in the water in Cairns, they can grow to 4 metres, that`d look good on the board.:eek:

Back
Top Bottom