View Single Post
Old 03-30-2016, 08:18 AM   #5
artfulltune

City: Baltimore, Maryland
Vessel Name: HAVEN
Vessel Model: Golden Star 35
I’ll wager your steering system looks a lot like mine and after a year of gathering information, tools and materials, I determined I’d have to locate a competent yard to do the work. After a few disappointments and goose-chases, I found a yard in Solomons, Md. who was confident they could do the work. The estimated time for a Garmin GHP20 AP unit for a twin helm, Capilano ram hydraulic steering system was 45 hours. I had already mounted the compass, (low in the forward berth), and the pump, (on a plywood pedestal) in the rudder lazarette at the transom. I had also run some of the cabling, but by that time I realized I was in over-my-head with the hydraulic connections. The installation and sea-trial time was in reality 54 hours. The additional time was due to running and “hiding” molded Garmin cabling, and, much consultation with the Garmin technical people in getting the AP to behave as it should on the sea trials. I don’t know what your AP unit is, but if interested I have a fairly detailed Garmin schematic with my notes I’ll send to you, but in retrospect, I am happy to have had an expert do the installation.
artfulltune is offline   Reply With Quote