Oil Solution very responsive company

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dhays

Guru
Vessel Name
Kinship
Vessel Make
North Pacific 43
Last week I think in the thread Diesel Clean-up Products someone posted a link to a company called Oil Solutions who have products they claim clean up oil in such a way as to make it environmentally inert. I was really impressed by what I saw on the videos and reading about the product.

Well, I had a question about one of the products and so used the "contact us" link on the website late on Friday night. By the next morning, I had emails from two folks from the company answering my inquiry. One offered to give me a call to answer any questions I might have.

I had a couple of follow up questions that I emailed and I got replies from both of them on Easter. I was happy with the information they supplied so decided to order their Spill Kit from the website. I did that late last night. I got a notice this afternoon from UPS that my product has been picked up.

Not sure if the product works as advertised yet, but I am super impressed by their responsiveness so far.

Oil Solutions

As usual, no financial interest etc....

Not sure if the product works as advertised yet, but I am super impressed by their responsiveness so far.

Dave

Thanks for the follow-up.
Their products looked very interesting and their prices didn't seem exorbitant - for an innovative absorbent?? (couldn't resist :hide:)

Their video demo was certainly impressive!

-Chris

Dave

Thanks for the follow-up.
Their products looked very interesting and their prices didn't seem exorbitant - for an innovative absorbent?? (couldn't resist :hide:)

They are based in NY state iirc, so if you are ever in that area you may want to go by and take a look. They certainly seem friendly.

When I get the product, and have the occasion to use it, I will let y'all know. My thought is that outside of catastrophic spills, it should help with normal cleanups of drips that might occur during filter or fluid changes. My wife absolutely hates the smell of diesel fuel.

Dave,

What product did you buy? They refer to Spray 10 But I don't see it in the product list. They also list OS Step1 and Step 2. Did I miss it or is there an explanation of when to use which one?

Thanks,

Bob

Dave,

What product did you buy? They refer to Spray 10 But I don't see it in the product list. They also list OS Step1 and Step 2. Did I miss it or is there an explanation of when to use which one?

Bob, you didn't miss it. One of the questions that I asked them was what is the difference between Spray 10 and Step 1 liquid. The answer is that they are exactly the same thing. Spray 10 is just marketed difference and put in a spray bottle.

I ended up paying $50 and buying their "spill kit". I haven't received it yet, although UPS tracking shows it should arrive tomorrow. The spill kit is just the Step 1 and 2 liquid, and the powder in a handy bucket. The next time I am boarded and inspected by the USCG and they ask to see my spill plan, I can point to the bucket.

I'll be anxious to see your review.

But a more important question:
The next time I am boarded and inspected by the USCG and they ask to see my spill plan, I can point to the bucket
I have few old cut up gallon containers to contain drips and a pile of absorbent pads, but are there any other items I'm missing?
Is there actually supposed to be a written "plan"?
(Sorry about the newbie question, but I need to learn sometime.)

I'll be anxious to see your review.

But a more important question:
The next time I am boarded and inspected by the USCG and they ask to see my spill plan, I can point to the bucket
I have few old cut up gallon containers to contain drips and a pile of absorbent pads, but are there any other items I'm missing?
Is there actually supposed to be a written "plan"?
(Sorry about the newbie question, but I need to learn sometime.)

I was boarded quite a while ago now. I was sailing downwind in about a 15 knot wind South thru Admiralty inlet with about 3' following seas. Not terrible, but enough to keep me on my toes in my Catalina 36. The USCG decided it was a great time to inspect me. They told me to hold my course and speed and their RIB driver came up behind me a 3 man crew boarded me.

They were professional, polite, and efficient. The senior Guardsman asked to see my spill response equipment (or something along those lines) and I simply gave the senior guy a blank stare. He then asked what was my plan in case of a fuel spill. Another blank stare followed by some stammering. He then leaned over and said in a low voice, "Sir, do you have some oil absorbent rags and a bucket?" I quickly produced a bucket, some absorbent pads and said this is my oil spill response equipment. He checked the box and we moved on.

Thank you!
That's a simpler answer than I was expecting.

And, thanks for the link High Wire.

Last edited:
No spill kit for recreational boats and to my knowledge uninspected commercial either.

No spill kit for recreational boats and to my knowledge uninspected commercial either.

True. OTOH, we are required to have a system to retain and then transport oil to an appropriate facility. Hence the rags and bucket. Or in my case now, the Oil Solution product to convert the oil to an inert and harmless substance that is easy to discard in the trash (at least that is the theory).

BTW, OS also makes a bilge sock that soaks up and then locks in any oil. I would have loved that on my old Catalina 36 that did not have a separate bilge under the engine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom