Argonaught II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now THAT...is one lovely mistress! But I need to know if she comes with her own shipwright?

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Even RTF will be happy with the ER pics.

All I see is work work work work!!!!!...;)

I wish the narrator would go a little more in depth about the structure and make up of the boat. Cool looking boat but a little tight for me.

Last edited:
Beautiful boat, but can you imagine the upkeep cost.

What would the upkeep costs on a boat like this be? Anyone care to hazard a guess..thanks.

Also, is there any kind of process for the bottom of a wood boat to minimize ongoing maintenance? I think I have read about some kind of overlay ...

In one of my exam rooms I have a photo that I enlarged and framed from an old photo of my Grandfathers 29' Yawl sailing up the Niagara river by the entrance to Lake Ontario. The photo was taken in the late '30s and my dad and his siblings are sitting on the boat.

Patients always ask me if we (our family) still have the boat. I always feel like laughing, a wooden sailboat that was old in the 1930s, getting hauled out of the water every year isn't going to last another 80 years without some major work or major financial commitment. Neither of which my grandfather was inclined to do.

...Patients always ask me if we (our family) still have the boat. I always feel like laughing, a wooden sailboat that was old in the 1930s, getting hauled out of the water every year isn't going to last another 80 years without some major work or major financial commitment. Neither of which my grandfather was inclined to do.

I wonder if the little wooden Blue Jay sailboat I learned to sail with on the Connecticut River and LI Sound as a kid is still around somewhere. Sold it to get through college around 1982.

If you have to ask ............

Let's just say...be on good terms with your shipwright. I have a good friend who is a shipwright who works on most of the wooden fishing boats here as well as a couple of wooden pleasure craft. He spends hours and hours every year on vessels that never leave the dock. There's always a bad plank that needs to be replaced. It's fun to watch him corking a hull. The tools he uses are over 100 years old.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Last edited:
It's called Due Diligence
Then in all likelihood your best shot is asking the guy who has it for sale. He knows what's done; what needs doin'. Course, he just might fish to see if you are genuinely interested 'cause he also knows, anyone doesn't know wood boats shouldn't buy one.

Not that calibre, anyway.

Last edited:
Rule of thumb in the wooden boat society is:
10% of the value of the boat annually.

Obviously there is some significant variation from that rule when there is something major that goes wrong.

Also, is there any kind of process for the bottom of a wood boat to minimize ongoing maintenance? I think I have read about some kind of overlay ...
The process is called c-flex? Maybe I spelled it wrong but that is what was done to my boat in the 70's. It cost about 80k back then. I don't know what it would cost now
Here is a link
http://www.sintesfiberglass.com/id71.html

Last edited:
The process is called c-flex? Maybe I spelled it wrong but that is what was done to my boat in the 70's. It cost about 80k back then. I don't know what it would cost now
Here is a link
C-Flex

Thankyou, how did it hold up?

Very well, I have a thread on here about the rebuild from a fire. Sig line. She burned and they said that the c-flex kept her from sinking. If it was a wood only hull it would have for sure sunk. I haven't had her on the yard in about 6 years but I will know this summer how good it looks. I'll keep the thread up to date and then you can see how it looks when I do.

Cajun - If Dave Sintes designed it or did it, my experience says you can take it to the bank. The cflex overlay is like anything else - with the right candidate,prep, and application, it's good. There are a few examples down here that are doing great after 20-30 years. I looked at a cfex'd covered 60s Chris Craft in the 80s -talked to Dave about it (his company had done it) - but I still was scared of it. Saw the boat a few years ago in Pensacola, talked to the owner, zero problems. And, a beautiful restoration.

She will be our next boat.

I see in the advertisement it has SOLD. Are you in fact, the new owner?
Congratulations if you are. It is a classic.

Al-Ketchikan 27' Marben pocket CRUISER

Alas no. She was gone before we even had a chance to make an offer! I'll be keeping tabs on her though.

Bob Cofer; said:
I'll be keeping tabs on her though.
I hope you do, Bob.
The Argonaugt II will always be a part of my past. From my childhood on the BC coast and later when she was being rebuilt in Boat Harbour.

As I mentioned in another thread, I knew the Matsons, Jullian (Red) and Jeannette, who I went to school with and spent many a summer night with, around beach fires at Myrtle Point.

Red was much older than I and he ran with my older brother when they both worked in the Powell River mill. Red was a rich kid from the Uplands in Victoria and always had fast cars.

The Argonaut II had been a Mission boat, one of the original Thomas Crosby fleet. I don't remember the Crosby but did know the Columbia, one of another series of Mission boats.

Anglican, United and Catholic preachers plied the coast saving loggers and natives. Father Bradley travelled by Union Steamship.

Here are some tidbits on the Mission boats, with a particularly interesting excerpt on how they operated.

http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=1714

http://lighthousememories.ca/2013/05/07/church-mission-boats-on-the-british-columbia-coast/#.VvaWn9H2Ydc

http://lighthousememories.ca/2012/06/24/mission-boat-william-h-pierce/#.VvaRFtH2Yde

In 1905, the Anglican mission ship Columbia I was built and launched in Vancouver. The ship was a dispensary, a consultation room, an emergency ward or an ambulance, as occasion demanded. It was also a travelling library and a chapel. A doctor was hired; he was also a mechanical engineer. The Reverend John Antle was trained to be an anaesthetist; he combined this job with his other work as chaplain, skipper of the Columbia, first-aid expert, nurse, sometimes cook , editor of the monthly magazine and superintendent of all activities of the Mission.

In 1910 Columbia II was launched in New Westminster. The new 106-ton gasoline mission vessel Columbia, 86.6 x 16.4, at New Westminster for the Columbia Coast Mission service of the Anglican Church. The new vessel had all the necessary facilities for giving medical and surgical aid, and in addition had a radio-telephone which facilitated the emergency communications. Initially the Columbia Coast Mission had a phenomenally rapid growth.

As the years passed, the Mission continued to expand, but at a slower pace. The activities of the Mission were numerous: it undertook annual medical examinations of school children, conducted outpost clinics, gave pre-and post-natal care, and established well baby clinics for Indian mothers.

In the 1930s the Columbia II was sold and re-named the Wayward Lady and is reported to have been used a s a rum runner.

The Columbia Coast Mission, though it belongs equally to New Westminster and to Columbia. The Rev. John Antle in his Mission Boat Columbia Number 2 comes into touch with 4,000 or 5,000 loggers in some 75 camps in the Gulf of Georgia. It is a floating library, carrying books, magazines and newspapers to thousands of isolated men. It is a floating ambulance and hospital, treating slight cases of illness or accident in its own cots and by means of its own surgeon, and conveying more serious cases to well-equipped hospitals at Van Anda, in the South, at Rock Bay, in the centre, and at Alert Bay in North, while its main object is to reach and benefit the souls and lives of the men through the spiritual ministrations of the Church.

Last edited:
I hope you do, Bob.
The Argonaugt II will always be a part of my past. From my childhood on the BC coast and later when she was being rebuilt in Boat Harbour.Quote:

Hawqwash- Just spent the better part of an hour reading through the sites that came up related to your offerings. Including the muffin receipt!! This reading will make following he Argonaut 11 as it continues, all the more interesting. Thanks for sharing, a real treat.

Al-Ketchikan- 27' Marben Pocket CRUSIER

Al; said:
This reading will make following he Argonaut 11 as it continues, all the more interesting. Thanks for sharing, a real treat.
Thanks, Al.

An old brain can be both a good and bad asset. Good because of all the junk stashed in it and bad because of retrieval efforts required.

Xsbank referenced Area WG and I was reminded of an experience with friends (the then owners of Argonaut II) in Whiskey Golf, a naval testing area in Georgia Strait.

So off I went into the aged and abused, dusty, dilapidated archives in the tattered, tangled, remnants of a mind. The internet helps...

The Argonaut II was built for the owners of the Powell River Company and originally named Greta M, which was later replaced with MV Fifer. Fifer and Taconite, owned by the Boeing family, were common sights on the coast, for decades.

Here is some info on the Powell River Company and a couple more pictures of Argonaut II. The first picture, with the Canadian Flag, would have been during the 25-30 years of ownership by the Matson's in Boat Harbour BC; probably the late 70's, when she was fit to charter. Personally, I like her look then as opposed to now.

Blame Xsbank....

http://www.memorybc.ca/powell-river-company

http://www.powellrivertownsite.com/history/paper_pioneers.htm

Attachments

• Can Argo.jpg
    Can Argo.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 46
  • US Argo.jpg
    US Argo.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 1941 Gardner.jpg
    1941 Gardner.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 55
Somewhere in the brambles up above, I mentioned Father Bradley.

Father B was a revered Catholic Priest who, unlike his United and Anglican brethren, preferred to go in style.

While the others travelled by mission boats and Reverend Greene toiled on the reserve at Alert Bay, Father B sailed in the comfort of white linen and real silverware on Union Steam Ships. The Union boats stopped in each place going north and returning south.

Father B would hang in camp for the 3-5 days in between, conducting mass and giving communion in our homes.

Obviously this was not an all day affair so he would kill time enjoying a good cigar, a favoured Canadian whiskey and long adventure stories of the West Coast.

The better the whiskey, the better the tale...

Anyone who put their collar on backwards earned ultimate respect and I suppose in those days there was the coastal version of "don't ask, don't tell."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom