Old 03-27-2016, 07:01 PM   #30
FlyWright
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerit View Post
Hi again, I'm back with more questions! I found an old survey done on my Californian 42 LRC , HIN# clearly JCMO 42410975, which says year 1975 built in Tustin CA. I also found a report on the VHF radios dated 1975.

My question is, does the HIN# decode to hull 41 of the 42LRC production, or hull 41 of all Californian production? Maybe someone with an early 42LRC could compare their hull number?

Has anyone considered starting a registry of existing Californians? Just wondering how many of the 200+ 42's produced are still afloat?

Thanks guys

Andy
Andy, now we're getting somewhere! The first digit following the JCM is the number 0, not the letter O.

JCM042410975

At some point, Californians dropped that Zero after the JCM...maybe when they foresaw that the hull number would exceed the 2 digit position they had allocated it.

I'm still thinking your last digit is likely an 8 to denote the year 1978 which would make sense considering hull #41. Could it be possible that the digit is worn and the 8 appears as a 5? Sometimes a pencil tracing or a digital image will provide a new perspective.

By comparison, my 1977 34 LRC hull number is

JCM034010277

JCM (Marshall Boats - California made) 034 (34 ft model) 01 (hull #) 0277 (Feb 1977 mold month).

Later models that I've seen will read JCMLLXXXMMYY where LL- length, XXX=hull #, MMYY=month and year of hull mold.

Here's one from a 1984 34 LRC with a different pattern, but still the JCM. Makes me question what I was told by Gil Marshall b/c I'm pretty sure this one was a Wellcraft model.

EDIT: Just read Edelweiss' post above. Maybe a 6 rubbed off to look like a 5? 1976?

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote