Old 03-27-2016, 11:19 AM   #14
Sharpseadog

City: Bellingham Wa
Vessel Name: Tinka
Vessel Model: Mariner/Helmsman 38
Smile Reduce the risk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
The video of that boat on fire is what my wife had in her mind when she first smelled smoke. She had visions of our boat burning up inside the lock and it scared the CRAP out of her. She was visibly shaking and shaken when I got the situation under control and could get to her to calm her down. She appeared to be on the verge of going into shock from fear. It took more than a few minutes to get her pulse back down to a more normal range.
I read an article some one posted, here I believe, about interconnected smoke detectors. I bought 3 on Amazon for total cost of under $100. Put one in engine room, 1 in pilot house and 1 on flybridge. Even though my engine room is fully clad with sheet aluminum (3/16th holes every inch with film & soundproofing behind it) when alarm goes off in ER, the other two go off as well. The units are battery powered and wireless. This setup would have saved my buddies 52 ft boat. He was alone on boat, on flybridge and didn't hear alarms in pilot house in time. This simple inexpensive system would have most probably given him enough warning to extinguish incipient fire before it got out of control. Here is the link: http://stevedmarineconsulting.com/sp...oke-detectors/
Sharpseadog is offline   Reply With Quote