Mainships?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rustybarge,
The Camano is't a SD boat either.
They are planing hulls .. IMO.

I watched a few vids; I'm a bit confused about exactly what sort of hull form they have.

General opinion is they track very well with the big keel, and handle the chop in pnw and se Alaska . 10kts seems to be the best fast cruise; weird you would expect that to be a bad speed with the stern digging in.

Another boat to add to the MS 34 lightweight type 15kts max cruise collection.

Last edited:
Rustybarge,
The Camano is't a SD boat either.
They are planing hulls .. IMO.

Gonna have to disagree here. I have seen them run on plane. An SD hull will remain completely flat in a turn while on plane. A planing hull will bank into the turn. Camano remained completely flat in the turn while on plane. Banking in a turn has to do with lift being provided in the forward part of the hull. An SD hull is not providing much lift up front while providing almost all lift from the back half. A very flat back half.

My Mainship stayed totally flat in a turn. My Carver does not...it banks.

Last edited:
Our last boat was a Camano. I don't know what you would call the hull, but the designer, Bob Warman, called it a Keelform hull. Look it up because I can't explain it. The engine sat down real low in a bulge in the keel. We mostly traveled at 8 to 8.5 knots at about 2.5 gph. However it would get up to a little over 16 knots at full speed. I don't know how much fuel it was using at that speed, I never did it for more than a few minutes. The narrow side decks was never a problem for us and we're both in our 60's. There is a good handrail on the flybridge the full length. It's a very good boat for 2 people and we really loved it.

Back
Top Bottom