Removing hoses off of pump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ragin cajun

Vessel Name
presently boatless
One of my a/c pumps is toast. The unit is over 20 years old. I removed/loosen the retaining clamps but the hoses don't budge on the fittings. Is there a trick or two to remove these stubborn hoses without having to replace them?
Thanks for any help on this project.

Sometimes simply rotating the hose w/ pliers / channel locks will get it started enough to come off w/ some muscle.

Tougher ones usually yield w/ the addition of heat via heat gun & muscle

Side - side motion usually more effective than straight pull to get started coming off

If there's an inch or two of spare length, chop it off. The hose will be a tighter fit going back on. (If you have some slack to do it.)

I don't have much of any slack to cut off at fitting to reattach hoses. I like the idea of a heat gun if I have enough room to get it in that space. Do I need to heat it again to run it on the new fittings on the pump? Thanks guys.

Go to your local auto parts store and ask for a hose removal tool:

28030000_otc_otc4521_pri_detl.jpg

Stick the pointed end between the hose and the fitting and work it in and then around the connection to break the seal between the two. Between this and wiggling and rotating the hose you can usually remove it intact.

While you are at the auto parts store, ask for a tube of hose grease (you can also get this at West Marine). When reinstalling the hose. put some hose grease on the fitting and the inside of the hose.

It will be easier to install and easier to remove the next time.

A heat gun can be a help but the trick is to heat things evenly and get the hose hot enough to be effective without melting or burning it.

Go to your local auto parts store and ask for a hose removal tool:

28030000_otc_otc4521_pri_detl.jpg

Stick the pointed end between the hose and the fitting and work it in and then around the connection to break the seal between the two. Between this and wiggling and rotating the hose you can usually remove it intact.

While you are at the auto parts store, ask for a tube of hose grease (you can also get this at West Marine). When reinstalling the hose. put some hose grease on the fitting and the inside of the hose.

It will be easier to install and easier to remove the next time.

A heat gun can be a help but the trick is to heat things evenly and get the hose hot enough to be effective without melting or burning it.

Now this looks like it will work! Thanks!

So it is likely the hoses are 20 years old as well. Given that a broken AC hose can in some installations fill your boat with water, (even if the pump switches off due to pressure switch being activated) I went ahead and replaced all of mine proactively at about that age.

Replace the hoses now,or at a more expensive time . Hoses that old are hard are have algae build up causing less flow thru to the a/c's. Just my $.02.

If you decide to cut the hose off, my favorite way to do it is to use a Dremel tool with a cut off saw blade to slit the hose.

A squirt of WD40 or similar where you push in the hose removal tool will help the hose let go of the fitting. Twist hose don't pull.

If you decide to cut the hose off, my favorite way to do it is to use a Dremel tool with a cut off saw blade to slit the hose.

A box cutter works fine too and it's less messy. Just don't score the hose barb or it will be harder to seal leak free.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom