View Single Post
Old 03-26-2016, 10:49 AM   #25
Puffin_NT32

City: Watch Hill RI
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Pgitug,

Nordic Tug's with teak interiors (newer NT's have moved to less expensive hardwoods) are oiled with Daly's Seafin Teak Oil. No veneers here, all solid teak. The way they finish them at the factory is to rub on several coats of Daly's, buffing between coats. 4-5 coats will come out with a smooth, satin finish. On going maintenance is a 50/50 mix of Daly's and Formby's Lemon Oil. For dusting, just use a rag with Formby's.

For areas that are really dried out, faded, or water stained, there are several ways to go. Get a bunch of tack cloths, cheese cloths, and clean white rags. Clean up the teak with a fine bronze wool or 220-320 wet-dry sand paper dampened with mineral spirits. Wipe it down then start applying the Daly's. You can put it on with a rag or use a chip brush to apply a thin coat of Daly's. Let the oil soak in at least overnight to 24 hours before a light buffing, then apply another coat. For interior surfaces, 3 coats is usually enough. I put about 5 costs on the interior steps. I originally used polyurethane on the interior steps, but after wear-and-tear, chips, water stains, I stripped all steps and went back to Daly's. The only place I use satin polyurethane is the thin panel on the fridge and the salon table top. With any kind of oiled wood, it's an ongoing maintenance process, but I look the look. If I had a professional crew to maintain the boat, maybe I would go with a Hinckley's-style interior varnish, but it ain't going to happen.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2384.JPG  
Puffin_NT32 is offline   Reply With Quote