Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IMHO, this is the most beautiful boat in our harbour. She's 50', wood, slipped twice a year, and immaculately maintained by her owner.
Lovely lines, she would make a great trawler conversion platform.

I have only read the first 55 pages on this thread, but already it is a wonderful resource in helping me to refine what I really want. The boat above is a working fishing boat, and there are no signs the owner want to retire!

Attachments

• 5670156_20160312081907231_1_XLARGE.jpg
    5670156_20160312081907231_1_XLARGE.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 117
I have only read the first 55 pages on this thread, but already it is a wonderful resource in helping me to refine what I really want. The boat above is a working fishing boat, and there are no signs the owner want to retire!

Pretty boat; I often think its the combination of rugged work boat looks and swooping lines that makes the most beautiful boats.

Go- faster gin palaces don't have the heritage to pull it off; neither do their owners.lol.

Just noticed this is back up for sale on YW . 37 ft Bill Garden .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 238
IMHO, this is the most beautiful boat in our harbour. She's 50', wood, slipped twice a year, and immaculately maintained by her owner. I have a standing offer to go out on her, but have not taken it up yet.

I have a yacht that I am using as a motor sailer; but want a 40' version of something like this. I grew up on/around Army work boats (also wood, and 40') so this length, line, and function satisfy something at a deep level.

There's not a straight piece of timber on her, apart from the transom. Efficient cruising speed is 8–9Kn, according to her skipper, but I have no further technical details. They fish by hand, too.

Not sure how to rotate images here.

Kit you cant put photos of trawls on this forum :nonono::nonono::nonono:

Just noticed this is back up for sale on YW . 37 ft Bill Garden .

Now that you've been "released" from the Alaskan, this would be a good alternative. Not exactly the same space, but mucho class and lots of projects you can get your hands into.

Petrel is another boat that I love to look at, like the idea of owning, but would hate to actually be the owner.

Takes a lot of time and love to maintain a boat like that. By the time I have the time, I won't have the physical ability.

Hope the owner isn't a member here at TF as his boat took flak on its first posted picture. :eek:

LOL! True, but I've yet to see the boat whose lines are complemented by a canvas enclosed fly bridge. As practical as they can be, FF's term "oxygen tent" is well chosen. Perhaps on a hundred footer, the Architects can draw a flying bridge enclosure in with intended style, but as practical as the mod may be in lots of applications, I can't recall anything that looks congruent on a sub-50 or so boat, IMHO. Examples would probably make another interesting thread.

One of the "trawler-like" boats the California Maritime Academy students "play with" mostly practicing docking:

Installing a flying bridge would destroy the workboat/trawler image, don't you think?

Last edited:
One of the "trawler-like" boats the California Maritime Academy students "play with" mostly practicing docking:

Installing a flying bridge would destroy the workboat/trawler image, don't you think? ... Don't recall seeing fishing trawlers with flying bridges. Don't FBs signify pleasure boats?:

Attachments

• CIMG1202 (1).JPG
    CIMG1202 (1).JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 95
Don't FBs signify pleasure boats?

Mark - Bingo!

One of the many reasons I refer to our Tolly as a pleasure boat or pleasure cruiser... not a trawler.

I believe your boat is a pleasure trawler... but that's just me!

Last edited:
Mark - Bingo!

One of the many reasons I refer to our Tolly as a pleasure boat or pleasure cruiser... not a trawler.

I believe your boat is a pleasure trawler... but that's just me!

Suits me, without FB!

Suits me, without FB!

Grinning and bearing... The direct and reflective sunlight is frightful (potential cancer), the wind is drying my skin, and it's getting too cool. Thank goodness for the enclosed pilothouse.

Geez, how did we get to FBs? Sorry, my fault. ... But most interesting boats don't have them. :eek:

Last edited:
Geez, how did we get to FBs? Sorry, my fault. ... But most interesting boats don't have them. :eek:

Interesting to whom? I'll give you a 50/50 split... but most is stretching things a bit... me thinks! :D

LOL! True, but I've yet to see the boat whose lines are complemented by a canvas enclosed fly bridge. As practical as they can be, FF's term "oxygen tent" is well chosen. Perhaps on a hundred footer, the Architects can draw a flying bridge enclosure in with intended style, but as practical as the mod may be in lots of applications, I can't recall anything that looks congruent on a sub-50 or so boat, IMHO. Examples would probably make another interesting thread.

In my opinion there are lots of boats with oxygen tents that neither add or detract from their looks.

This boat has looped and seems to have many miles under her keel so the owners seem to have no problem taking her out to strut her stuff.

Ugly ducklings may be just that...but that doesn't mean they have or any part of them that is functional....."no class".....

Now a giant pirate figure with pirate flags all over and maybe a fake cannon or two......now that would be....." no cl......." .....hopefully just temporary decorations....:D

I get the "I don't want or need a flybridge" mindset....

What I don't get is the near rabid reaction to them. Sure some don't look good...others look great. Some are very functional some are not. Some may affect stability to a point, some affect it very little in actual use.

Some boats have great color schemes while others dont.

We all agree just about every boat out there is a compromise in some way. What if everyone ganged up and started harping on the limitations of a particular boat you owned or not?

Grinning and bearing... The direct and reflective sunlight is frightful (potential cancer), the wind is drying my skin, and it's getting too cool. Thank goodness for the enclosed pilothouse.

What are you doing up there pretending you have a fly bridge.
You always look so "happy" out in the fresh air out of that stuffy enclosed pilothouse :rofl:

You always look so "happy" out in the fresh air out of that stuffy enclosed pilothouse :rofl:

Well, it's sorta like this...

Thems what have fly bridge can or can not make use of it during any time aboard; cruising, anchored or at dock - their choice! Fly bridge can also provide much room for storage of items that otherwise would clutter different boat areas. Personally, I love a flying bridge on a boat.

Soooo... when you have fly bridge you have alternatives. When you don't have fly bridge the only alternative you have is such as Mark in this picture above.

Mark - Wear a hat when in the sun! Bimini tops are also very useful... you could always fasten a bimini to top of your pilot house for sitting on its edge!

What most do not understand about sun damage to skin: It's not so much that you are in sun rays for short period but rather damage may (is more likely to) occur when prolonged, strong sun rays are allowed to "bake" on your skin without even intermittent relief from exposure. Broad brim hats and bimini tops consistently provide intermittent sun-ray relief due to direction of oneself and direction of boat and canter of sun in the sky.

Liken what I say above to what happens when a magnifying glass is used to concentrate sun rays. When you take the magnifying glass and leave the beam below it fairly broad then there is some but not too much heat generated upon the surface being shined upon. If you stay (linger) on a particular point of the surface then consumed-heat increases the temperature of that area. But... As you move the glass sideways the heat is immediately being transferred to other portions of the surface and the surface you previously stayed fixed upon with the fairly broad beam begins to cool back down. That is similar to what your skin encounters via hat and bimini top while boating in the sun... or lack thereof.

Then again, you can focus the magnifying glass beam to become super concentrated and to burn items via creating much heat at focal point. Luckily there is not a mag glass in our atmosphere so therefore it is only a broad beam of sunlight that hits skin. Meaning - As long as you give skin at least some periods of rest out of the sun's broad beams (such as under hat and bimini) the skin gets time to cool down and to not bake-in-the-sun!

Ahhh the wonders of life - - > Ain't it wonderful!! :dance:

Attachments

• Art - Pilot Tolly_100_1362.JPG
    Art - Pilot Tolly_100_1362.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Art & Linda on TO - Maltese Falcon SF Bay Entry Spring 2009_100_1391.jpg
    Art & Linda on TO - Maltese Falcon SF Bay Entry Spring 2009_100_1391.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 61

Now that's funny...

It's not from the fresh air, it's because he knows it's much more salty to sit on a roof top instead of a proper flybridge....:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Plus without a proper figurehead to have an incredibly interesting boat, he does without and just acts as one (but not quite on the bow....) :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom