Filling Little Snap Holes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom.B

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Make
Navigator 4200 Classic
Apparently, a previous owner had floor covers made for the flying bridge and the cockpit. There are snap buttons everywhere (maybe 50 or so). Gimmie some ideas about filling them. As far as I can tell, they don't go all the way through. I am thinking of drilling then out slightly larger and filling with slightly thickened (and colored white) or maybe un-thickened West Systems 105/205. Then a tiny dab of gel coat. (?) Pretty sure I don't want any of the 3M stuff for this.

Opinions?

Thanks.

Countersink, to at least twice the diameter
fill with thickened gelcoat: I use Cabosil, but other thickeners work
sand
dress with unthickened gelcoat
sand with 400 or finer wet paper
polish
Spot gone!

I have done dozens of snap screw holes this way and can't find any of them.

Thickened gel coat?

You can buy gel coat paste in many forms...but you can also thicken gel like epoxy. That is what the polyester or vinylester filler stuff is.

I bought a tube of one part (no hardener) gel coat repair. The tube was the sized of a crazy glue tube..probably would do 20 or so small holes that weren't too deep. Think it was made by EVERCOAT.

"Thickened gel coat?"

Ya
I use Cabosil, sometimes I use short chopped strand FG. I bought a small bag of each about 20 yrs ago and still have 95% of it left. It lasts forever. Put a little in some gelcoat and use it for filler. Smaller holes are best with Cabosil, as it is more of a powder. Bigger holes need the short strands to span an opening. If it sets up lumpy, cut or sand off what protrudes and use some more to even it up, then use unthickened gelcoat to dress the final repair, sand and polish, and Viola finished.

Nice! Thanks yall.

Apparently, a previous owner had floor covers made for the flying bridge and the cockpit. There are snap buttons everywhere (maybe 50 or so). Gimmie some ideas about filling them. As far as I can tell, they don't go all the way through. I am thinking of drilling then out slightly larger and filling with slightly thickened (and colored white) or maybe un-thickened West Systems 105/205. Then a tiny dab of gel coat. (?) Pretty sure I don't want any of the 3M stuff for this.

Opinions?

Thanks.

Tom, are you able to get this stuff..?

Selleys Knead It Multipurpose - Epoxy Putty | Selleys Australia

I think it would be ideal, otherwise the Marinetex, several suggested on the "drilled in the wrong place" thread would do. It needs to be something you can press, fair, and later sand and coat over with matching paint quickly and easily.

The beauty of the Kneadit is it is a one stop shop. You just cut a length off, knead it to mix in the hardener and develop the colour, and you're ready to stuff holes, or fix any kind of (deliberate) mistake.

If the holes are in the decks, a thin to medium gel coat will fill by gravity as well as epoxy being pressed in after the bubble is released by a toothpick (if there is a bubble). As Ling as the holes are only a 1/4 inch or so, the gel don't really need reinforcement but strengthening filler or a short strand glass filler is probably a bit better. Eventually you are going to gel or paint...why not just use gel as it is appropriate?

Plus it can be covered over with plain gel for finishing without compatability worries.

I heavily concur with koliver for keeping this one easy and what I have seen pro glass men do.

You might consider using a small disposable syringe (around 3/4" dia x 3" long) to get the filler in the holes. Start with the tip at the base of the hole, push plunger and withdraw tip at the same time. Ensures the hole is really full - no bubble leaving a depression. This method is quick too if you have lots of holes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom