Raritan Purasan EX

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not going to completely close my mind to the idea of being able send to tank or send to Type I, but I've got to think through the installation. Y-valves from two head that either go to Type I or III are pretty easy. But I'm going to have to research:

-What triggers the Type I cycle in both heads on a 2-head boat in this setup? I know with my current boat there's a yellow Raritan push control. Would one of these need to be in each head? It can't trigger off the flush control as it would then trigger when the heads are sent to the Type III.

-If in an NDZ for a while the only way to legally empty the Type I would be via pump out or be outside of the limit. I've had cases where I've been in an NDZ for a few days but there wasn't a convenient pump out so I held the waste until I got out of the DNZ and then turned on the HNT system while we were running. I really like having this ability.

At least I've got some options to think about.

I agree with Kevin in the fact that while NDZs aren't everywhere...I see more and more "clean marinas" that have no discharge in the marina. So if you use marinas often enough...it is a pretty big decision whether to or not "treat and hold"

While I like to think Raritan engineers have their "shi*" together...so far with my issues....not really. The Electroscan needs salt added even when within a mile of the ocean and gangbuster tidal flow....in what most would call "salt water"....why engineer a system that is close or realistically below tolerances? Then there is the auto feed salt tank fiasco...which they acknowledge. The salt tank overflow issue is real...but fortunately easily fixed like Kevin and I did with electrical parts versus the mickey mouse float system that doesn't seem to work except in the lab...again their words and reality. The electrical fix parts can be had for around $50. Their grand engineering fix was a tiny rubber seal...the old one from what looked like black rubber, the new some kind of opaque composite...it lasted a month where the lack one almost a year...not good. Then there is adding the salt tank to the main unit. You are expected to drill and glue the new barbed fitting. For a $1000+ system...that seems to need one of these add on units ...I would think a port molded in for this "add on" should be part of the case lid....again especially with the going prices.

Nope....for relatively simple things....these relatively expensive units that are becoming less useable compared to more usable is not a great thought.

Last edited:
Great points. Outside of the specter of seeing all of the Puget Sound becoming a NDZ, a Purasan would be nice. I would not use it in my current harbor and I wouldn't use it in many marinas and in some anchorages. Because of this, I would be using the holding tank a lot. However, as soon as I left the harbor, the hnt would be turned on and treat and dispose of any waste in the tank with the purasan. I like that idea a lot. It would be great when heading North where pump-outs may be harder to find.

But, other fish to fry and there are other more pressing things to do with my boat bucks.

Not sure that plumbing the head to either the holding tank or PuriSan then the holding tank to the PuriSan is anything more than a y valve downstream of the head.

That way you can go directly overboard through the PuriSan thence overboard or to the holding tank for Hold and Treat.

If the y valve is handy...may not be a big deal...but I could see that different cruising styles might require a lot of valve changes.

I guess it would only work if the PuriSan can take orders separately from a head or Hold and Treat.

FWIW - I just had a brand new Purasan EX delivered (PST12EXHNT to be exact). Much the same parts as the original, except for some added items to the chemical canister along with one of those generic electrical wall boxes (about 10x10") that is rather heavy (I'll open that up soon) with a pump attached to it. It was the older units that had a "tablet cartridge" (I converted my older system years ago and forgot about it). The same tablets that were in that original-style cartridge now ship in a much better sealed quart-sized plastic "paint can".

Purasan ex blinking light

Hello. I'm new to the sight. Why is the warning light blinking fast on the purasan ex system?

Attachments

• 20160527_135043.jpg
    20160527_135043.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 85
From the owner's manual: " Fast flashing Error LED indicates that Tablet
Dispenser is overfilled with water or more than two tablets are loaded during refill (2
flashes every second)."

If you don't have an owners manual, you can download and print one from here:
Raritan PuraSan EX owners manual It would be a good idea to read through it to learn how it works, how to maintain it properly, and what the blinking lights mean.

Purasan ex blinking light

If tablet dispenser is over filled, isn't that automatic? How do I control the amount of water. Will this be a continuous problem?

The answers to your questions are in the owners manual. Check out the link in Peggy's comments above.

Yup...it's in there. Page 11.

Jason, you NEED to read the entire owners manual because it's important that you not only learn what TO do to operate and maintain the system, it's even more important that you learn what NOT to do because doing it can damage the system...and that can be expensive! And btw, this applies to every system on your boat!

You're obviously a new boat owner...we want to help you become a responsible, knowledgeable owner! So we'll be glad to help you sort out what you don't understand or help you solve problems the manuals don't cover, or even ID a "mystery" gadget...but spoon-feeding you solutions to isolated problems won't help you learn how to avoid other problems.

Last edited:
What I don't know, is that with a Purasan Hold-n-treat, can't the Purasan be installed only in relation to the holding tank? In other words it doesn't matter how far away from the head it is only that it be close enough to the holding tank and a fresh water line?

Why would you want to send everything to the tank unless you're in an NDZ and have no choice? Both Raritan Type I MSDs are actually designed to discharge each flush directly overboard, which is the beauty of treatment vs holding...being able to send each flush overboard means you no longer have to turn your boat into a floating honey wagon! Raritan really only developed the HnT to save owners from the hassle and expense of either finding a pumpout or going offshore beyond 3 miles to empty a tank...it was never intended to do nothing but replace pumpouts.

I don't think most of you realize that even if you only send "treated" waste to the tank, you WILL have the same tank maintenance hassle and expense that you have without treatment, 'cuz although both devices reduce the bacteria count to <10/100 ml, it doesn't kill 'em all...and only ONE of the li'l buggers has to survive in the tank to quickly multiply into a zillion (which is the reason why it's just as illegal to dump a tank full of "treated" waste inside 3 miles as it is to dump a tank full of raw waste) you'll still have to deal with same odor and other ongoing tank maintenance issues you have now. So if you install a P/S or ES and the HnT controls to do nothing bu fill the tank with treated waste and empty the tank, the only thing you'd gain from your $1500-$2000 expense is freedom from pumpouts.

Chris...you said, The best (I think) place to install the system is not particularly near the head; it'd be closer to just forward of and slightly under the holding tank, lot o' space, very near the existing discharge thru-hull... essentially in the place where the existing macerator pump lives.

Unless you also plan to only flush the toilet directly into the tank and use the PS or ES only to empty the tank (see my comments about THAT idea immediately above!) that prob'ly won't work, because the treatment tank not only needs to be within 6' of most toilets, and also no further from it's discharge thru-hull than it is from the toilet. With few exceptions, work-arounds only create major "head" aches. There's an old saying that I think might apply here: "if you think a pro is expensive, wait till you find out how much an amateur costs!"

Look fellas...There's only one reason why anyone should spend the money to install a treatment device: Because the idea that you can be free from the aggravation of using and maintaining a tank except for the rare occasions when you visit an NDZ is a dream come true. If that's not true for you, don't spend the money for one.

I was plumbing 3 heads into one electro scan unit--- via a small 'collector" tank--- im just doing this on paper right now--- of course the idea of discharging OB is great-- im just trying to find if i need 3 electro scans --one for each head--- I just saw where they hold 4 flushes so i should be ok... but again---i am just learning...I have had plenty of "wondrful" experience using RV blackwater tanks and toilets.

And technically "Clean Marinas" in Florida that object to discharging even treated waste.

I have 2 heads flowing to a 34 gal holding tank. Discharge from the holding tank is controlled by a Raritan Hold and Treat system. The Hold and Treat system meters the holding tank contents to the Purasan EX for treatment and discharge overboard. In no discharge zones, the Hold and Treat system is turned off and the holding tank pump out is used.

I was plumbing 3 heads into one electro scan unit--- via a small 'collector" tank--- im just doing this on paper right now--- of course the idea of discharging OB is great-- im just trying to find if i need 3 electro scans --one for each head--- I just saw where they hold 4 flushes so i should be ok... but again---i am just learning...I have had plenty of "wondrful" experience using RV blackwater tanks and toilets.

Where did you get the idea that an ElectroScan or PuraSan holds 4 flushes flushes...neither of them actually hold ANY flushes...they're both flow-through devices. If you read the startup instructions on page 6 of the owners manual ElectroScan owners manual you'll see that it has to be filled before operating (same is true of the PuraSan). Then each incoming flush displaces an equal volume, pushing the contents of the first chamber into the second chamber and the contents of the second chamber overboard.

Btw...I just answered all the questions you posted on cruisers.com. You're welcome to contact me directly if you want to discuss all this in more detail specific your boat and circumstances than is practical in an forum.

--Peggie.

Back
Top Bottom