Roughwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Friend of mine has a Roughwater 41. Looking for Windows. Anyone out there have a source that makes boat windows with patterns on the shelf. Ditto for 38 Present?

Shoutout to Russ Borman

Hey Russ,

Noticed you are another RW owner, nice to see another one on TF. Just thought I'd bring your attention to this thread. There are links above to the yahoo group and the Roughwater web page.

Hopefully we will have enough boats this year for a rendezvous. Going to the upcoming boat show?

Cheers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 284
view
I would love to meet up with other roughwater owners in the northwest. Sure like Wine Down. I'm at Shilhole. If you here of any Rendezvous talk, I'm in.

Hi Mr. WD. Check the Yahoo group, there is talk about it for this summer.

Cheers

Hi dhmeissner Russ here, I have been on that forum and seen the talk about getting together this summer. I would love to if its at a time my wife and I can attained. We just got Athena last November and there's plenty to still figure out. Were Planning a haul out in August and then a week in the San Juan's.

Attachments

• uncluttered ER in Roughwater 35 motorsailor.jpg
    uncluttered ER in Roughwater 35 motorsailor.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 295
I like it .Looks like a good price also .

I've seen a drawing of a RW35/36 Motorsailor, but never pictures of the real thing until now. Well here it is:
That's my favorite RW cabin arrangement and it's not compromised much by the compression post under the mast.

What I particularly like about this layout is that the lower saloon windows are large and usable when seated at the dinette - almost every other boat has a smaller trunk cabin forward and the livability of this important area is greatly reduced. Even nicer, you can see forward. The 37 puts a bulkhead forward and those forward windows are then in the "stateroom". Attached is a picture from a brokerage 36 (not sure if it's still on the market).

I had roughly the same layout on my old 32' Monk cruiser, except that one had the helm to port (which I prefer). When I eventually downsize I will strongly consider the RW 36.

SaloonFWD.jpg

That's a photo of our boat "Cape Star." Prior owner keep the cool Northwest Tribal Art. We bought her at the end of the summer, been doing some work on the engine and making covers.

Attachments

• IMG_1316.jpg
    IMG_1316.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 314
4961808_20150306101350237_1_XLARGE[1].jpgIf you like the visibility on the 36, take a look at the 41

If you like the visibility on the 36, take a look at the 41
I do like that view, but I don't really like the PH on the 41 - I'd prefer a sedan style. Plus, and this is just personal preference, I like the sheer on the 36 compared to subsequent models. I could certainly get tempted (there's a minty 41 two slips from me that's been in my club since new - current owner is a 300 ton master), but I was really thinking about as small a boat as possible. I could easily single-hand my 32' Monk and I was thinking about something like that for my "next" (last) boat.

That's a photo of our boat "Cape Star." Prior owner keep the cool Northwest Tribal Art. We bought her at the end of the summer, been doing some work on the engine and making covers.
I was kind of keen on that boat myself. It was reasonably priced so I even considered becoming an admiral for a while until selling my trawler. When I talked to the broker it had just gotten back from a sea trial and haulout and they had discovered something in the strut / cutlass bearing that was problematic. The complication was that the nearest haulout was several hours running time away. The broker was supposed to call me back if that deal fell through but he never did even though I did see it active again. It was remote enough from me that I just didn't pursue it.

There are some East Coast pedigreed boats (e.g. Wilbur) of similar design and perhaps even better workmanship, but I have never seen anything that is so well balanced (for me!) as that exact model. It kind of ties into the other thread about some boats looking better without flying bridges - that's one of them. Everything they added to the 37 is something I would prefer not to have.

When I talked to the broker it had just gotten back from a sea trial and haulout and they had discovered something in the strut / cutlass bearing that was problematic. The complication was that the nearest haulout was several hours running time away. The broker was supposed to call me back if that deal fell through but he never did even though I did see it active again. It was remote enough from me that I just didn't pursue it.

That's interesting, nothing in the survey about the cutlass bearing. Boat has had some updating, mostly cosmetic, painting. Perkins T6.354 needs TLC. I took Nigel Caldar's Diesel engine class at the Seattle Boat Show and have been working on the raw water side. Also has a some small soft spots in the deck we will be digging into when the sun returns, hence the covers.

My son is living aboard as his dorm room in Olympia (I am very envious), I hope to get her back at the end of the quarter.

She is a great looking boat, and handles really well. We had a perfectly functional small Bayliner cruiser, so did not technically need another boat. But "Cape Star" is a thing of beauty, and with her wood decks/house and Ed Monk salty lines she has a romance that no Bayliner can provide.

As a former Officer in the National Guard I always felt I had to have a boat I could put on a trailer while on deployment. So seemed like the right boat to take the plung back into permeant presence on the water, slip fees. We are very excited to be cruising the Salish Sea and points north for years to come aboard "Cape Star."

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 374
Pretty spiffy, although needing some TLC. What struck me is the overhead shot of the ER. Talk about uncluttered! If my engine room were that clean of tubes, wires, hoses and various filters, etc., I'd stop asking for a stand-up engine room.

Same engine and almost the same work space. On both sides of the Perkins the space is wide open as the Roughwater. I think the same, with all the space open to access all the engine components, standing room is not that a desire.
I trust I found the correct image for this post.

Nope try again. Al-Ketchikan

img_414827_0_89a49e04680e96d74e45bb9ec892f2a9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
attention roughwater owners look at the roughwater form there's a lady in Pittsburg CA that says she has a long lost 58 for sale needs work?

attention roughwater owners look at the roughwater form there's a lady in Pittsburg CA that says she has a long lost 58 for sale needs work?

Our boat is a RW 58 ft in case you do not know what one looks like and is. It was originally built on a commercial hull and draw up as a pleasure trawlerby Ed Monk Sr, one of the most know thought at the time. Designed as a long range pacific coast trawler, and also as a live aboard and passagemaker, 2000+ miles. There are only 5 remaining, part of boating history. If you are interested or want information of the 58 send me a email. :flowers:

Hello from Sitka, Alaska! I have purchased a 1978 Roughwater 41', the "Soapy Smith," originally out of Skagway, Alaska. I am living aboard and bringing her back to life. I am reworking any number of things on an otherwise amazing and beautiful ship. I plan to ply the inland passage, and live aboard her... in between working my job with the Alaska Marine Highway System as a 3rd Assistant Engineer.

I am looking for any information available for plumbing, electrical, sewage systems for my ship... all was lost by prior owners... Glad to find this forum to network with other RW owners!!

Thanks!

Mickey Barker
Eliason Harbor, Sitka, AK
(520)370-6075
mab772u@yahoo.com

Welcome aboard Mickey. We also have a 41 RW. 1980. Haven't had it too long and it's currently on the hard waiting for nicer weather. Plan to update a few items, do some serious cleaning, painting varnish etc and possible a bow thruster. Hope to have it back in the water by early summer. Not sure that I can help much with questions but don't hesitate to ask. Lots of talent on this site......some have forgotten more than I'll ever know.
Stan

Hi Mickey I bought a 1977 41 roughwater Atena last October and starting to refurbish her as will. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions, someone here will have the answer

Rough Water 41' Soapy Smith

Lots of RW owners here, great! I will get some photos soon (will be "before" shots,) as I mentioned, the Soapy needs some love to bring her back to life! Waiting for nice weather to complete my outside repairs, re-sealing, paint, and new deck coating. I am also going through the water system; RV style shore water connection, filter system, new HW heater, rebuilt the FW pump, and isolation valves, etc. I am shocking the tanks and lines too with chlorox. Other priorities are engine and battery bank maintenance, master berth and bath remodel, and upgrading the electronics... A labor of love!

Roughwater Rendezvous?

Hi guys, I heard a whisper somewhere about a Roughwater rendezvous this year. Have you heard anything?
Thanks Mark

Go to the roughwater form, They have been talking but don't think anything is in stone.

Join the Yahoo group. There is a poll going on now to determine a weekend for this summer.

The Roughwater rendezvous will take place July 22-24 at Cap Sante in Anacortes, join the Yahoo group for more details.

Not sure I am doing this right. We just purchased a 1983 41 ft. Roughwater in Anacortes. Would like to open a discussion. We are about to hang a tv from the ceiling and wonder about a few things up there.

Back
Top Bottom