Radar Install

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KEVMAR

Vessel Name
Delphina
Vessel Make
President 43
I'm looking at buying a used furuno model 1621 mark 2 type RDP -116 radar. I will be installing it on a 1983 36ft albin. First is this unit good or bad??? if I get it how would I go about running the signal wire from the trawlers mast to the upper helm station?? thank for your feed back and suggestions
Kevin G
new Bern NC

I can't comment on how good that unit is, but as far as running the signal cable goes: If you have the original mast, it should be hollow to allowing running wires. If your boat is like mine, from the mast to the upper station, you can use inside the edge of the flybridge as a chase. On my boat, the mast wires are fastened under the overhang from the base of the mast to the stb side where a hole is drilled up and into the chase formed by the flybridge. From there it's very easy to run the wire to the upper (or even lower) station.

Ken

I always figured that when I really need the radar things are going to be so crappy I'll be inside at the lower helm.

The cable on the 1621 MKII runs into the back of the radome, so you will have to have the cable exit the mast behind the radome. I drilled a hole in my mast for the cable and fitted a rubber grommet into the hole to seal around the cable and prevent/minimize chafe. As far as routing the cable goes, it is about 1/2" in diameter, bit the connector on the display end of the cable is closer to 3/4" in diameter. The radome end has circuit board type connectors which are more fragile than the display connector. I would feed the radome end of the cable in and fish it through rather than the other way.

The 1621 MKII is an OK radar, but it is monochrome and the monitor isn't very high resolution.

I'm not being helpful, but I'd recommend installing only relatively new electronic components.

I'm not being helpful, but I'd recommend installing only relatively new electronic components.

Can't agree more. To save some you could look for a deeply discounted new equipment when a company brings in a new line. I've got brand new Garmin radar, chartplotter, and misc addons for half price in a year they brought a new line of devices. I do not have the latest and greatest but still technically modern, functionally sound, warranted and supported for some more years.

Can the display tolerate even minimal rain or salt-spray from (say) a screen left open? If not, then the fly-bridge may not be the best location.

Those were nice little units. If the price is good and the display is clear and clean I'd get it. Good used radar is better than none at all when you need one.

They want 500.00 but there is no power cord

There are companies that will make power or connection cords from scratch for most units. Usually small shops along the coast of large fishing communities. Usually with a Cajun accent. The fun is in finding them.

Back
Top Bottom