Tools Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janusz

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Mo'Ana
Vessel Make
OA Europa 40
Tomorrow morning I am picking up my newly bought boat to ferry it home. Wish me luck please.

It is 1982 Ocean Alexander with a 2011 Perkins diesel.

I will take some basic tools with me and I am not sure; will I need metric, imperial or both?

Thank you,
John

Greetings,
Mr. J. Imperial will be fine with the addition of 10mm, 12mm and 17mm wrenches/sockets.

1982 model boat,,,bring every tool imaginable. You still wont have enough. Metric or English. A minimum of 3 large tool boxes, each of which has its own wheels would be minimum for me. And spares for everything on the engine. Unless of course you are just going a few miles, then only 2 tool boxes, :)

Congratulations. Where are you picking it up and where are you taking her home?

As others have said, just take every tool you own.

dhays; said:
Congratulations. Where are you picking it up and where are you taking her home?
The boat was in Duncan (Maple or Cowichan Bay, I'm guessing) to Pender Harbour (Garden Bay) which will be 55-60NM NNW across Georgia Strait.

Weather over the next 3 days or so is SE or NW 15-20 so it should be a good extended sea trial.

Fair winds janusz.

Last edited:
The boat was in Duncan (Maple or Cowichan Bay, I'm guessing) to Pender Harbour (Garden Bay) which will be 55-60NM NNW across Georgia Strait.

Weather over the next 3 days or so is SE or NW 15-20 so it should be a good extended sea trial.

Fair winds janusz.

Hopefully the weather is cooperative. We have had some pretty strong winds lately. Don't the seas pick up a bit in the Georgia Strait with a steady South wind?

1982 model boat,,,bring every tool imaginable. You still wont have enough. Metric or English. A minimum of 3 large tool boxes, each of which has its own wheels would be minimum for me. And spares for everything on the engine. Unless of course you are just going a few miles, then only 2 tool boxes, :)

OH no, I can't do that. Imagine 3 toolboxes plus all other necessary gear wheeled on Nanaimo ferry! I will take my chances, it s not an ocean crossing after all an I can always call for help and three strong men will come with their rescue truck, no?

I am just taking few wrenches, screwdriver and pliers maybe for now.

What is wrong with 1982 model? The age does not count so much as condition, I would think. And the engine, gear, batteries, genset, electronics are all new.

Thank you all for good wishes and congrats.

What is wrong with 1982 model? The age does not count so much as condition, I would think. And the engine, gear, batteries, genset, electronics are all new.

1st half of 1982 model used Whitworth fasteners to bolt the superstructure components together and to the hull - better bring both sets (left-hand and right-hand) sockets and spanners.

JK...travel safely

Keith

If your boat has sat up for a while, I would bring extra fuel filters along in case of sludge in the tanks. Tools to bleed system if change out is required.

In addition to the great tool advice:

Bring extra assortment of "marine" quality hose clamps... all sizes. Even if you don't use any this time - always good to have aboard.

I recommend you also bring B-Laster lubricant http://blastercorp.com/Blaster-All-Purpose-Lubricant.html

And, Kroil penetration fluid Penetrating-Lubricating Oils

Any good lube and penetration fluid will probably do... the two above are my favorites.

Ya just never know when you may need to loosen something that has been tight... and corroding... for decades!

Happy "New"-Boat Daze! - Art :speed boat:

Plus some baling wire and duct tape. You just never know. :)

I'm serious, by the way. I have used duct tape for a temporary fix on a leaking hose. Saved the day.

A cell phone and credit card with lots of room...

Keith

All the above is good advice, you can never have too many tools and spares when something breaks, and even if you bring everything you won't have the part or the tool that your really need. :D But an important question might be:

What's your skill level? :angel:

If it's no more than pliers, screwdrivers, tape and bailing wire, then that's your list.

Cajun had some good advice about replacement fuel filters (primary and secondary) and whatever tools you need to bleed the fuel system, if you know how. If you don't that's a very worthwhile skill to acquire as if a diesel engine stops running it's fuel related almost every time.
:socool:

Janusz; said:
Thank you all for good wishes and congrats.
Most of what's been posted this morning is probably too late as I suspect you were on the barge bright and early.

If you can't have calm then there is nothing wrong with todays forecast; SW 10 to 20.
You might make good time. 9 hours instead of 10.:D

Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
Wind warnings have ended, should have a nice trip. Make sure to check Area WG is not active. Qualicum side of the gulf will be snottier than the Pender side so if possible, go direct.
Break a leg. Wave when you go past Duncan Cove.
If you need fuel, PetroCan in Nanaimo is usually good and will give you the commercial discount if you ask.

Xsbank; said:
Make sure to check Area WG is not active.
Area WG; oh my.
Years ago I was friends with the owners of Argonaught II, who lived aboard in Boat Harbour. Crossing the strait one time, I went around Whiskey Golf, they cut across. Listening to the exchange between the Canadian skipper and the USN ordering him OUT!!! was hilarious. By the time they were done with the war of words, he was clear anyway.

I've put up another thread with Argonaught II.

Last edited:
Volt meter. Never leave home without it.

He may know exactly what tools to take on a delivery...from post #1 it just sounded like he didn't know what to expect...metric or SAE....

I second the volt meter / multi meter.

Yes, Yes!!

24/7 (while aboard) I keep a multi meter directly connected to my house bank (they start engines too). That way I can flip it on any time for readings.

He may know exactly what tools to take on a delivery...from post #1 it just sounded like he didn't know what to expect...metric or SAE....

Our Tolly is 1977 - USA build. Soooo - SAE is my primary set. Also carry fair assortment of metric... caus... you just never know where something might pop up where they are needed!

He asked specifically about a model boat and engine....he probably doesn't give a rat's rear end what we have....or keep on our boats.

Maybe he is smart enough to use a crecent wrench and Swiss Army knife on non-critical systems..

Maybe if he just generically asked what tools to carry on a new boat delivery .....but he didnt.

It seems to me that TF has started to become a little slanted towards every thread is started by some clueless boater.

psneeld said:
from post #1 it just sounded like he didn't know what to expect...metric or SAE....
Yup. I'm guessing the question was primarily to do with the Perkins, especially since he is an ex sail boater, boatless for 14 years. Should be half way home about now.

He asked specifically about a model boat and engine....he probably doesn't give a rat's rear end what we have....or keep on our boats.

Maybe he is smart enough to use a crecent wrench and Swiss Army knife on non-critical systems..

Maybe if he just generically asked what tools to carry on a new boat delivery .....but he didnt.

It seems to me that TF has started to become a little slanted towards every thread is started by some clueless boater.
Beer.

hopeyou have vessel assist/ boat us towing....dont leave home with out it

All this for a half day run across smooth water. What would I need for a couple months away?

BruceK nailed it....BEER...........

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom