View Single Post
Old 03-23-2016, 12:29 PM   #20
Donsan
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Great Harbour is in the process of designing a transportable trawler powered by outboards. The initial design is based on using dual Suzuki DF60's. They expect a speed of 14-15 knots with a burn of 3 GPH or less. The boat is projected to be 35' long with a beam of 10'4" and a displacement of 7,000 lbs or so (I am betting it will be closer to 9,000). Your boat is larger and much heavier and you are looking at much larger engines.

Despite what others have said, I find a lot to like with your idea. There is a lot of gutting that can be done to the ER if you go with outboards. You can remove two engines, transmissions, shafts and shaft logs, rudders, cooling and exhaust components, seacocks, hydraulic steering, etc.

However, there are some issues you need to think about. You will need to remove or at least significantly modify your swim platform. To mount the outboards might require some beef up of the transom. Then there is the issue of power. Do you have a diesel generator? Do you plan to keep it? If so, then you will need to keep both diesel and gas on board. You might also want to think about your fuel tanks. If 30-40 years old they might need replacing prior to using gasoline in them.

If you are having a hard time finding skilled labor to work on your boat, what make you think you can find a suitable crew to convert it from diesel to gas?

I don't envy your problem.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote