Impressions on Rainha Jannota

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Portuguese

Guru
Vessel Name
Rainha Jannota
Vessel Make
Curruira 46
Dear Folks
By request from some friends in this forum, see below a report from my experiences with Rainha Jannota.
Almost two years since launching Rainha Jannota I decided to let you know the impressions and experiences about my unique boat. Rainha is an original project from Yacht Design studios in Australia and Brazil. (www.yachtdesign.com).
The hull was extended from 42’ to 46’ and it was maintained loyal from water line down. Above, many aspects of the design were changed to suit my personal preferences. Free board in the bow was increased while the same in stern was reduced as you can see on the lines profile in the pictures.
Today the boat displaces 23.8 Tons at 50% fluid capacity. Three thanks carry a total of 830 gallons of fuel plus 320 gallons of water and 30 gallons of waste.
She is pushed by and old school German descended but Brazilian made MWM turbo 6 cylinder in line with 145hp @ 2500 RPM. Cruising speed at the displacement above is 7.4 knots @ 1950 RPM sipping little below 3gl/hr. Trolling down to 1800 RPM, my favorite, she’ll sail at 6.7 knots burning only 2.1gl/hr.
Up to now the engine counts 312 hours since June/14. The generator, a 7 KVA Fisher Panda, is counting 425 hours with zero problems.
She had sailed already 2085 miles including the trip home from Ubatuba to Salvador when we run for 896 nautical miles nonstop in 5 days and 10 hours. We faced 10-12 foot seas with 30 knots winds in several parts of this trip, as well as calm seas. I also caught big waves and wind from behind and felt how good my boat is when nature decides to help her. She goes strait with little or no effort from the flawless autopilot, a Simrad AP24.
I also praise the Lord for giving me the idea to include two fin keels in the hull. Those, plus the wide beam gives me perfect rides with very slow harmonic movement even when the weather is not on my side.
The equipment has been a surprise. Refrigerator and air conditioning, domestic ones 110V, have been perfect so far.
Battery charger is now a robust Charles. Don’t bargain with battery charges, you’ll pay the price for that mistake.

Windlass have been changed once with a third electrical engine bought recently while painting the bottom. The reason for that problem was lack of protection of the engine from the elements. The problem was corrected last month with a made for purpose box.
The BT burns more battery than I wish. Yet, I have just installed two 220W solar panels to keep my batteries charged. With the sunlight available in the tropics I might as well take advantage of it. I am also planning to install two dedicated batteries for both windlass and BT.
TV is too small and the respective antenna useless. Mama gets mad about it
I am still struggling to minimize effort while using my hoisting system to accommodate the dingy. It takes a lot of energy from my not so much young arms.
She is not easy to go backwards and it is a little unpredictable, but putting her on her tight spot in the marina is getting less and less difficult. Apart from the inaugural trip, crew has been only mama & me!
Anchor gear is a 66 lbs Bruce + 200’ x 3/8” BBB chain + 350’ of ¾” nylon rope. So far, zero problems with this issue.

She has been a joy to own, sailing, moored, or tied on pier.

Attachments

• DSC00417.jpg
    DSC00417.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC00606.jpg
    DSC00606.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC00607.jpg
    DSC00607.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC00677.jpg
    DSC00677.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 1Kauai714.jpg
    1Kauai714.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 82
  • 2014-08-02 06.43.31.jpg
    2014-08-02 06.43.31.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_1590 (640x427).jpg
    IMG_1590 (640x427).jpg
    178 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1611 (640x427).jpg
    IMG_1611 (640x427).jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 85
She turned out beautiful! Hope you enjoy her for many years to come.

Thanks for the update, Fernando. It seems to have worked out beautifully for you. Truly a project you can be proud of.

Thanks for the update, Fernando. It seems to have worked out beautifully for you. Truly a project you can be proud of.
:iagree:and have followed your project with much interest!

That's fantastic, Fernando! What a ride it's been for you! Glad to hear all has worked out as well as it has for you and 'mama'. She looks spectacular! No doubt, you get lots of compliments on her looks.

How about another pic of that beautiful wheel your best friend made for you? That's a piece of artwork!

Fernando-glad to hear that all is turning out well, she turned into such a beautiful boat, she deserves to be a great boat as well. I will not soon forget the pictures you posted of her road trip down the hill to the water!

Wheel and Table

Attachments

• IMG_1562.jpg
    IMG_1562.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1567.jpg
    IMG_1567.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 72
Great to hear from you and an update date. Best advice is keep mama happy. This is our 18 year being a live aboard, by keeping my wife happy. :flowers:

Very nicely done. You are going to have many years of cruising pleasure on her.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom