Raw Water Elbow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeM

Vessel Name
Tuscan Sun
Vessel Make
Krogen 42
I've attached two pictures below. One is the engine raw water strainer. It was manufactured by Bair...apparently out of business. The second picture is of a stainless steel elbow that comes out of the strainer. The connects the 1 1/2" stainer outlet to the 1" ID hose going to the raw water pump.

The elbow has some corrosion on it, and I would like to replace it. I've been advised by Brian Smith at ADC to go with a brass or bronze elbow. But I have not found anything that reduces from 1 1/2" to 1" in my searches. I also don't know if the strainer threads are NPT or NPS.

Any ideas on what I should get or where to get it.

Thanks!
Mike

a ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1458411709.038796.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1458411731.367391.jpg

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Are you sure that Brian said to use brass? I would not use common brass, sometimes called yellow brass in sea water service. The sea water will remove the zinc in the brass and it will deteriorate badly. You want marine bronze or red brass which is an alloy with much lower zinc content. It has a much duller, slightly red color than yellow brass which has a bright yellow color.

Apollo and Groco make NPT to hose barb elbows. See Defender.com Search Results: bronze elbow

David

Are you sure that Brian said to use brass? I would not use common brass, sometimes called yellow brass in sea water service. The sea water will remove the zinc in the brass and it will deteriorate badly. You want marine bronze or red brass which is an alloy with much lower zinc content. It has a much duller, slightly red color than yellow brass which has a bright yellow color.

Apollo and Groco make NPT to hose barb elbows. See Defender.com Search Results: bronze elbow

David

David,

Brian did say brass, but he listed bronze first. That is what I am looking for. That said, nothing I am seeing...even on Defender...steps down from 1 1/2" to 1".

Thanks, Mike

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

So you want to go from female 1-1/4" NPT to 1" hose barb, right. So buy a 90 degree street elbow, a 1-/1/4" to 1" bushing and a 1" hose barb.

90 Degree Street Elbow Fittings - Bronze, NPT

and

Conbraco Straight Pipe To Hose Adapters

and

Hex Bushings - Bronze, NPT

David

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Many times you can't find this stuff at West Marine, but a large plumbing supply company will be able to put together what you need with adapters or other fittings. You want bronze, not brass.

Take your original part with you.

Agree that bronze would be best...looks like stainless was previously used and could be used again.

I would call Groco in Stevensville, Maryland and ask them what part numbers they recommend.

I see your in Virginia Beach?
Call Hampton Rubber.
I bought some naval bronze threaded pipping and put it in the salt water exhaust and since 1998, no corrosion.
Hampton Rubber Company - Home

They also sell seals and bearings for good prices.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the input. Looks like I'll be putting two bronze pieces together to replace the one stainless piece.

I still have one question though. Everything I am seeing is NPT. Is it pretty safe to assume my old sea strainer has NPT threads? Since I haven't removed the old part, I am not sure. And I don't really want to remove it until I have a replacement in hand.

Thanks, Mike

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

Last edited:
I see your in Virginia Beach?
Call Hampton Rubber.
I bought some naval bronze threaded pipping and put it in the salt water exhaust and since 1998, no corrosion.
Hampton Rubber Company - Home

They also sell seals and bearings for good prices.

We are actually in Longboat Key, FL right now. We won't be back to Hampton Roads until late May/early June.

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

Not surw what filter you have but Groco, Shurflo, Forespar etc are all NPT as standard. If you know your filter, Goggle should be able to tell you.

Just noticed it is a Bair. Sorry but I have never heard of them.

Last edited:
All you need is a 1-1/2 to 1 inch bushing and a 1" male npt to 1" hose elbow.

Please forgive me for linking to my own website. You should be able to find these fittings at any marine store.

ACR Bronze Hex Bushings 1-1/2"

Perko Pipe Elbow Fitting 1"

Thanks Hop. That looks like the simplest solution. One more question...what is the right thing to use on the threads when I put it all together?

Mike

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

My favorite thread sealant is Leak Lock but any pipe dope will work.

I just use quality pipe dope. If electrical continuity is important, pipe dope is better than Teflon tape. Teflon is OK on the potable water system.

Thanks to everyone for the info.

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom