View Single Post
Old 03-22-2016, 07:44 PM   #46
ksanders
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Just a FYI...

The issue with the salt feed unit causes it to use a whole bunch of salt unnecessarily. Bags of salt!

The symptom is that the float valve fails to turn off the flow of water causing a overflow condition. It will then turn off and you're left with a mystery as to why you are out of salt so quickly.

That was what alerted me to the problem. I was running through a bag of salt in just a weekend or two.

A good way to tell if you are having this problem is if you open the lid of the salt feed, the water is at or near the overflow. This should never happen. The water should be no more than a couple of inches above the "grate" that the salt sits on.

If you do the math a 40 lb bag of salt will raise 143 gallons of water to 3.5% (the average salinity of seawater).

I'm guessing here but a marine head does not use as much water as a house head. Probably 1/2 gallon or so per flush, but that's a guess. So, a bag of salt is worth about 286 flushes give or take.

Figure 8 flushes per day per person, two people on board. A bag of salt should last 18 or so days plus or minus. Of full time two people cruising.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote