Anchor setting Videos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Steve, thanks ever so much for the sharing of your anchor testing. It was very revealing. I chose the Excel because of the independent Australian anchor tests, it fit perfectly on my bow with its stop notch, and because Rex Frances is a prince of a fellow. Your tests have verified for me the choosing was not folly. I, too, agonized a little over what would fit and look best on the bow. However, I did not want to give up performance.

Eric, if I remember correctly, the maximum holding power of a smaller Excel than mine was around 2,200 kilos. That was by an independent Australian tester. I have found the Excel to be a reliable setter. Although, it has not been subjected to any extreme conditions.

Steve, I think Emma is brilliant..."steerable" anchors :D

Might only be popular with equatorial boaters however...

Steve - thank you for your work. I have a 44lb Bruce on board. Looking for another one. I took notice of your choice. I was leaning toward the Mantas in the 60lb class. Now I'm re-thinking....need more info, over.

Tonto, One thing that I did not talk about in the video is price. If that is a factor for you, then the Mantus would be hard to beat.

At my pay rate, price would normally be a factor but in this unique situation, the anchors were all sitting on my bench ready for the taking.

I did shell out money for most of the anchors (at about half price). In the future, I will only accept free anchors for testing. A manufacturer should think of it as a (small) payment for the testing. Someday, I will have a grand anchor sale and collect my 'salary'.

Steve

For the record, my Manson Supreme doesn't seem to clog any more than any other anchor I have used ( bruce, claw, delta, danforth, cqr, navy, and a few others in very limited use).....and have used it in most sticky bottom types found along the AICW....been using it for 4 years and around 10,000 miles of cruising.

I think Steve's anchor review has proven (among other things) that there are some really good anchor designs to chose from.

Again, Thanks! Steve

If all I had was my Manson Supreme, I would not seek out a replacement.

If all I had was my Genuine Bruce, I would probably look for something with more holding power.

Steve

Great work Steve. All good information, and clearly there are several anchors there that would be a perfectly reasonable choice for anyone, and clearly several better not used as a main, but maybe as a stern or back-up anchor, and...dare I say it, one or two best left out altogether now.

I have always been upfront re my liking for the Super Sarca, based on many years to varied bottom use, and your test supports that, especially as it was a bit of an orphan in being a size at least smaller than ideal for your boat, yet still held up well. However, I can certainly understand your personal selection of the Spade.

You know what I'm going got say next, and please feel no pressure whatsoever, because what you've accomplished has been a bit of a marathon, but all that remains in my view is the Sarca trip slot test. Clearly you were influenced against the slot by the Manson's slot performance, which is completely understandable, and the only reason I am bothering to pursue this issue at all is because my experience says the slot and its properly selected and installed shackle, would not misbehave as the Manson's did, and because it is an issue worth clarifying once and for all.

I say this because certain posters on here has repeatedly criticised the fact it might trip under dangerous circumstances, (largely based on heresy and third hand stories), and because in order to be able to deploy the controlled trip mechanism, and save potential loss of the anchor, one needs to have the chain attached to the slot. Once the anchor is fouled it is too late to alter that.

If anyone has tried to change anchors, or in this case from one fixing point to another, especially after it has not been disturbed for some time, the shackles are very hard to undo, and not the thing you want to have on in a seaway on a dark and rainy night. The fact the Super Sarca has the bolt which can be installed or removed quite easily, either opening or locking off the slot is a great idea, but this still necessitates one being omniscient enough to anticipate when a foul-up might occur. Murphy's Law says otherwise.

So, because of this fact, is why I feel it a pity if folk are put off using the slot, based on heresy and inaccurate/insufficient evidence, and your testing method is the one way this might be put to bed.

So...some time in the future...when you are sufficiently rested from your video labours, and becoming a bit bored even, and the urge takes you to do another anchor test, or even muck around with yet a new camera suspension idea, please, pretty please, do those same 3 : ! scope tests with an open slot, (no bolt), with reverse current/wind direction, etc, on the Sarca, so we can all see what happens, once and for all..? :flowers: :popcorn: :Thanx:

Steve, May I echo Peter`s plaintive request? I use my Super Sarca in shackle slide mode, be good to know if I made the right choice.

Pete,Bruce:

I will conduct 'Rock Slot' tests with the Sarca at some point in the future. Perhaps I will dream up a different test just for the occasion. I'll likely include the Manson Supreme (with it's rock slot) in the tests.

Stay tuned......

Steve

Steve,
Since you like curves ... have you seen the new Vulcan?

That shank is even beyond the Ultra. If it wasn't for it's herritage and if I needed a new anchor (got plenty) I'd be look'in the Vulcan way. The prototype was butt ugly. Never would'a thunk it could have come to be so beautiful. Have no idea about it's performance though.

Eric,

So far, I've only seen pictures of the Vulcan. You are right - its very curvy. I would need to see it on my boat to make a final decision about the looks but it does look pretty good.

Sadly, my offer to Canada Metals to test their anchor(s) did not bear any fruit.

Steve

Sadly, my offer to Canada Metals to test their anchor(s) did not bear any fruit.
There could be any number of reasons, but a manufacturer who lets a 3rd party they don`t really know test their anchor in circumstances out of their control needs to be willing to take a risk. Well done to the manufacturers who provided product to test.

Is there a US supplier for the Sarco Anchors? A really quick check only showed Australian and NZ distributors.

Is there a US supplier for the Sarco Anchors? A really quick check only showed Australian and NZ distributors.
I don`t think so. Steve and KSanders and Moonstruck(others too I think) have imported anchors from Australia. Try contacting Rex Francis via their site(Anchor Right Australia), he`s helpful and will know how to get one to you if you decide to order. Our dollar is up a little now(or yours is down:)) but still good for you, pretty much lockstep with Canada.
PS. It`s SARCA.

PeterB,
I've been waiting for you to make that post (309) for days.

Until this video series I never realized Spade anchor cost double what most others do. I was thinking of switching to a spade on our new boat, but think I will reconsider now that I have seen the prices. Ouch.

I don`t think so. Steve and KSanders and Moonstruck(others too I think) have imported anchors from Australia. Try contacting Rex Francis via their site(Anchor Right Australia), he`s helpful and will know how to get one to you if you decide to order. Our dollar is up a little now(or yours is down:)) but still good for you, pretty much lockstep with Canada.
PS. It`s SARCA.

Thanks Bruce. I can't imagine that shipping a 60lbs anchor half-way around the world would be cheap.

PeterB,
I've been waiting for you to make that post (309) for days.

I bet...yes...I was tempted earlier, but decided to be patient. I was sure Steve would get to it eventually...and he will, see... :socool:

The Mantus looks relatively reasonable in terms of cost. I have been using a stainless CQR copy on my 40 foot sailboat. I have had a few times where it has been difficult to set, but I have mostly anchored in areas with pretty easy bottoms. There are large current shifts here, and I do loose a bit of sleep at night checking to see that the anchor has handled the current change OK in the middle of the night. As I expand my cruising range, I would prefer something that sets and resets a bit more reliably.

Dave, talk to Rex when the time comes. I think he sharpens the pencil to take into account shipping, and he may have done the hard yards on finding competitive shipping.

Great work Steve. All good information, and clearly there are several anchors there that would be a perfectly reasonable choice for anyone, and clearly several better not used as a main, but maybe as a stern or back-up anchor, and...dare I say it, one or two best left out altogether now.

I have always been upfront re my liking for the Super Sarca, based on many years to varied bottom use, and your test supports that, especially as it was a bit of an orphan in being a size at least smaller than ideal for your boat, yet still held up well. However, I can certainly understand your personal selection of the Spade.

You know what I'm going got say next, and please feel no pressure whatsoever, because what you've accomplished has been a bit of a marathon, but all that remains in my view is the Sarca trip slot test. Clearly you were influenced against the slot by the Manson's slot performance, which is completely understandable, and the only reason I am bothering to pursue this issue at all is because my experience says the slot and its properly selected and installed shackle, would not misbehave as the Manson's did, and because it is an issue worth clarifying once and for all.

I say this because certain posters on here has repeatedly criticised the fact it might trip under dangerous circumstances, (largely based on heresy and third hand stories), and because in order to be able to deploy the controlled trip mechanism, and save potential loss of the anchor, one needs to have the chain attached to the slot. Once the anchor is fouled it is too late to alter that.

If anyone has tried to change anchors, or in this case from one fixing point to another, especially after it has not been disturbed for some time, the shackles are very hard to undo, and not the thing you want to have on in a seaway on a dark and rainy night. The fact the Super Sarca has the bolt which can be installed or removed quite easily, either opening or locking off the slot is a great idea, but this still necessitates one being omniscient enough to anticipate when a foul-up might occur. Murphy's Law says otherwise.

So, because of this fact, is why I feel it a pity if folk are put off using the slot, based on heresy and inaccurate/insufficient evidence, and your testing method is the one way this might be put to bed.

So...some time in the future...when you are sufficiently rested from your video labours, and becoming a bit bored even, and the urge takes you to do another anchor test, or even muck around with yet a new camera suspension idea, please, pretty please, do those same 3 : ! scope tests with an open slot, (no bolt), with reverse current/wind direction, etc, on the Sarca, so we can all see what happens, once and for all..? :flowers: :popcorn: :Thanx:

Peter,

Ask and you shall receive. Not sure this will satisfy you questions about the Rock Slot but it will certainly establish the SARCA is a tremendously reliable re-setting anchor.

The Manson, not so much.

Steve

Terrific research, and a real contribution to the endless anchor threads that seem sometimes to be based on opinion, not data.

Looking forward to meeting up with you in P.T. to perhaps look at performance differences with heavier ground tackle.

Thank you Steve. That will be comforting next anchoring with the S/Sarca.
I have anchored with it many times, slot active (ie not bolt blocked). Typically wind reverses from onshore to offshore overnight, here causing the boat to change position 180 degrees. Despite waking with the boat heading 180 deg. different, I don`t believe our position has altered other than by virtue of the wind change. I have never had reason to suspect drag occurred during the rotation process, which bears out your testing.
In fairness, my previous (now backup) CQR anchor performed similarly way in overnight wind/boat direction reversal. However, I`m sure the Sarca initial set is faster and more reliable than the CQR.

Thank you Steve. What your tests confirm is, (like Bruce's), my own experience over about ten years of use. It is no surprise therefore, but gratifying, and also explains why reports of anchor tripping at awkward moments reported by some others, were never attributed to the Sarca, but only ever the Manson. I was still skeptical, but now I accept it can and does happen with the Manson, so clearly there are subtle but important structural differences which make the Manson rock slot best reserved for anchorages where fouling is likely. To be fair, in most circumstances it is still a good anchor.

The Sarca clearly works differently, so owners can happily use the slot...and Marin, if you see this...looks like we were both right.

Thanks again Steve, and thanks to Rex of Anchor right for supplying it for the test. If this was tennis, I guess we'd be saying..."Game, set, and match. Thank you linesmen, thank you ball boys." :Thanx:

Who would have thought that no one would lend Steve a brand "R" to test after all this time?

Eric,

So far, I've only seen pictures of the Vulcan. You are right - its very curvy. I would need to see it on my boat to make a final decision about the looks but it does look pretty good.

Steve

Steve

Like others, I echo a strong hurrah. We just had a new 40 kg Vulcan installed and will be trying it out in BC during the next few weeks. My initial comparisons will center on ease of retrieval up and over the bow roller vs the Bruce it replaced.

And yes, it does look good. I know Canada Metals well and have guarded faith in their QA/QC. I hope to scratch and gouge it unmercifully though, just like the Bruce it replaced - which served us surprisingly well given the anti Bruce lobby. Maybe a bigger Bruce keeps the setter happier?

Terrific research, and a real contribution to the endless anchor threads that seem sometimes to be based on opinion, not data.

Looking forward to meeting up with you in P.T. to perhaps look at performance differences with heavier ground tackle.
Thanks Delfin,

I agree that a peek at a larger anchor will be very interesting.

After we test your big stuff, and if we have time, it might also be good to use Delfin to apply extreme setting force to my smaller anchors. If we are lucky, we might even break something!

Steve

Who would have thought that no one would lend Steve a brand "R" to test after all this time?

High Wire, I have been offered 2 Rocna anchors. Both are 35 pounds so not the best choice for comparing to the 45 pounders that I have been testing. One of the anchors belongs to my next door neighbor but it is attached to his boat and therefore not terribly convenient. The other is 1 hour away by car.

Lets just say that I am holding out for an easy and correctly sized example.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom