Long Island intracoastal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kpinnn

Vessel Name
Periwinkle
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 36
I understand this waterway was designed at minimum 6 ft depth and healing 100 ft wide. Last dredging was completed in 2912. Has anyone any experience. I would be motoring a 36 ft trawler with 3.6 ft draft. I do understand shoaling and channels. I have done ICW from Key West to Cape Cod. Soooo what is the story on this piece of water? Looks interesting if navigable.
Ken

What piece of water?
Where?

Sorry. Looking at the intracoastal in Long Island N.Y. U.S.A.
Ken

What intercoastal are you talking about? If you are talking about coming up the East River where large barges traverse the waters, there is no problem. If you are talking about Long Island Sound which is miles across and significantly deep, you will have no problem. We live on Long Island on the North Shore and sail it extensively with our Catalina 42 sailboat with a 6'8" draft and have rarely an issue, especially out in the sound as long as you avoid the shoals.

Now where were you looking? I've never heard of this thing that you are speaking of.

Wait - are you maybe speaking of the South Shore?

I have never heard of a Long Island Intracoastal but that doesn't mean anything.

Buy yourself a copy of the Waterway Guide, Northern edition and you can check on your intended cruising waters. And of course, buy a chart and study it.

Annsni yes that is the same fact sheet I have. Not looking to go south past Long Island. If I was would use sound as I have many times. Looking at charts, most activity on south shore is from what is being called Long Island intracoastal. In fact looks like a lot of development for so many not knowing about it or for only very shallow draft vessels. Basically looking for another cruising area to explore.

Annsni yes that is the same fact sheet I have. Not looking to go south past Long Island. If I was would use sound as I have many times. Looking at charts, most activity on south shore is from what is being called Long Island intracoastal. In fact looks like a lot of development for so many not knowing about it or for only very shallow draft vessels. Basically looking for another cruising area to explore.

Most of that area is really small boats - day boats and small sailboats in the deeper areas. LOTS of fishing and I don't think as much transient kind of set-ups.

That is what I wanted to know. I have seen some 2015 active captain reviews by trawlers in the 40 ft size. But, not many and a lot of cautions.

The most difficult area is Moriches Bay, with Shinnock Bay a close second. Boat your size have transited the area in high tide, even then its not a guarantee.

You could go in Debs Inlet (Rockaways) and travel out to Fire Island Inlet, that is all good water and well marked. Check charts for bridge heights. Then head out Fire Island Inlet and come back in Shinnecok Inlet, take the channel to starboard (east) that will lead you to Shinn Lock, and then head out through the Peconic, which is beautiful.

We were hoping to take the same route through Debs Inlet. Is anyone planning to go this year?

With so many great places to go in Long Island Sound, I'd rather go that way than to have to worry so much about the depths. :)

Well we have done a lot of the sound. We Winter store in Portland Ct. on Ct River. This Summer heading to Maine. Just looking for other options. Never been to Fire Island. Then again maybe we do not want to go to Fire Island.

Ken

LOVE the Connecticut River - especially Hamburg Cove. That's probably our favorite place to go!!

I was just talking to my husband and if you went around the South Shore of Long Island, there are places where you can cut in and out and probably be fine depth-wise (after all, the ferries come in and out) but more than likely traversing west to east might not work as well. :)

Yup - Long Island intracoastal

When we docked in Freeport LI we used to travel that path once in a while for dad's vacations... back in the 60's. And, that was what it was termed then too.

Looks like an excellent area for fluke! :thumb:

I would recommend Fire Island, Sailors Haven and Watch Hill are National Seashore parks with marina's, just get there during the week, first come first serve. Also before that in the State boat channel you have Zach's Bay, Garbage Cove and Hemlock cove, all excellent anchorages and with a little effort walk across to the ocean beach. Search Active Captain, has good details of the area.

I would recommend Fire Island, Sailors Haven and Watch Hill are National Seashore parks with marina's, just get there during the week, first come first serve. Also before that in the State boat channel you have Zach's Bay, Garbage Cove and Hemlock cove, all excellent anchorages and with a little effort walk across to the ocean beach. Search Active Captain, has good details of the area.

" Garbage Cove" errr - Gilgo Cove sounds so much better! At least it did in the 60's :whistling:

I agree not the most flattering name, not even sure how it got it, but locally was called that for 30 of my years cruising the area. Up side well protected, 15-20' deep and nice little bay beach for the dog or you can walk across to the ocean. Gilgo is next door to the west.

I don't know what size dinghy or tender you have, but this is sure a great area to use one to explore. Made just for it.

Well we have done a lot of the sound. We Winter store in Portland Ct. on Ct River. This Summer heading to Maine. Just looking for other options. Never been to Fire Island. Then again maybe we do not want to go to Fire Island.

Ken

OK. I have absolutely no experience on the south side of Long Island.

But that has never stopped me from giving advice:

The geography of the south shore of Long Island is very similar to the New Jersey and Maryland shore.

In fact they all share the same sand. But that's not the point.

just looking at the charts they have always struck me as not the easiest places to cruise as truly safe harbors are few and far between.

If you have a boat that can go 30 knots, not that big a problem, but for a slow boat, it's a different story.

In all the places I have been so far, the Mid-Atlantic coast between Norfolk and Sandy Hook is the most difficult I have encountered.

Since you are on the north shore already, I would continue through the Cape Cod Canal and do New England. Much nicer and a billion places to stop.

OK. I have absolutely no experience on the south side of Long Island.

But that has never stopped me from giving advice:

The geography of the south shore of Long Island is very similar to the New Jersey and Maryland shore.

In fact they all share the same sand. But that's not the point.

just looking at the charts they have always struck me as not the easiest places to cruise as truly safe harbors are few and far between.

If you have a boat that can go 30 knots, not that big a problem, but for a slow boat, it's a different story.

In all the places I have been so far, the Mid-Atlantic coast between Norfolk and Sandy Hook is the most difficult I have encountered.

Since you are on the north shore already, I would continue through the Cape Cod Canal and do New England. Much nicer and a billion places to stop.

"In all the places I have been so far, the Mid-Atlantic coast between Norfolk and Sandy Hook is the most difficult I have encountered."

Pluck, Pluck, Pluck!

Obviously only kidding? :rofl: You did the whole potato! :D

Back
Top Bottom