Help...advice on time to go Ensenada to Seattle...on 60 Motoryacht LRC?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capn James Brett

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Stella Maris
Vessel Make
2004 Grand Alaskan 65
Hey folks....any advice here is appreciated. About completed with the purchase process of a boat in Houston that will be shipped from Florida to Ensenada. I know Ensenada is a great place to visit and have some work done, however, I need to get the boat up to Seattle for home. Anyone know the best or safest time to make this voyage? Boat is a LRC with Stabilizers, so very good blue water boat....I have not made this voyage and will hire a captain to help.
I am looking for best time, things to be avoided (time, places, shipping concerns, etc) and best places to stop off for a break going north.
I have contacted the Baja Naval yard for work, has anyone used them and any suggestions?

Thanks captains and much appreciated.

Watch the weather and plan to head north after June 1st. There are plenty of ports to wait the weather out if needs on the trip up.

Find a Captain to help with the trip, then ask the Captain.

A number of my friends have used Baja Naval, but mostly for "cosmetic" jobs; painting (think AwlGrip, hull and deck) and bottom jobs. They all give the yard high marks. Offhand I can't think of anyone who has had them do mechanical or electrical work. Their prices used to be very good but like everything else, prices have gone up. I don't know what their prices look like these days.

I was in Ensenada in January and the exchange rate was about 18 to 1; much better than last year when it was more like 13 to 1.

I ran our 46' trawler down from Seattle to LA in 2002. It is easier going downhill than it will be going uphill. We had everything from dead calm to 14' seas. We stopped at Grays Harbor, Tillamook, Newport, Humbolt Bay, Monterey and then into LA. When you go past the Columbia, stay off at least 15nm. We found out 8nm was not out far enough. We had to do it as a delivery trip and were pushing as hard as possible. I wish we had more time to stop and do some sight seeing. We did lay over 2 days in Monterey waiting on Point Conception to lay down. Went to the aquarium during that layover, it was great. Have fun and good luck.

Since it is about 1300 nm, it will take you 6 or 7 days, if you run continuously there (at 8 - 10 knots). I have made that trip a few times and never encountered conditions bad enough that I wanted to duck in somewhere, but always had that Plan B in mind. If your boat has the range to make it, IMO that is the way to go, unless you want to sight see along the way.

Back
Top Bottom