Old 03-20-2016, 02:28 PM   #34
ranger58sb
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Your experiences are typical of those I've heard from others in Fort Lauderdale.

Rereading my own note... I see it's probably not obvious that we were back up here on the Chesapeake for our 2003, 2011, and 2012 events.

I was in Miami on a house-hunting trip during Georges, essentially locked down in the hotel room... and it turned out to be a decent learning experience since we'd been a bit apprehensive about the job transfer and hurricane potential.

Aside from the 1999 version of Irene -- track prediction kept varying from one coats to the other, and then it finally came right over our house -- it turned out we didn't have much to worry about while living down there. It was a bit disconcerting watching rain water rise toward the house in front (couldn't drain off the streets fast enough) and in back (the alligator pond, don't ya know) at the same time. In the grand scheme of things, I think our "high ground" at the foundation was still maybe only a foot or so above actual street- (and lake-) level around us. And manually mounting the 35 or so sets of retro-fitted hurricane shutters was a bit of a pain.

I do dislike dealing with Hurricanes up here on the Chesapeake, though! Interferes with our cruising schedule!

-Chris