Maretron FFM Fuel management System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Codger2

Guru
Vessel Name
Circuit Breaker
Vessel Make
2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
I've had the above mentioned fuel management system installed and am having trouble with the tank capacity readings. The sight glass at both tanks reads ½ while the monitor on the bridge reads starboard "½" and Port "full".
By loosening the sensor mounting screws on the fuel tank I can get the port tank to read ½. Is it possible that by tightening the sensor flange mounting screws that a "warping " is causing the erroneous reading at the monitor?

Would someone who has this Maretron system (or any Maretron system) please comment on your experience with this product line?

This is an example (not mine) of the kinds of readings I should see.

Attachments

• Fuel Gauge.jpg
    Fuel Gauge.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 288
What are you using for tank level sensing? TLM100? TLM200? TLA100? Pressure transducers?

What are you using for tank level sensing? TLM100? TLM200? TLA100? Pressure transducers?
TLM100s as my tanks are 31 inches deep. I backed off the 5 screws just a skosh as I'm sure that the overtightening had an adverse effect on the sensors. Now both tanks are reading right! BTW, the TLM100s are not pressure transducers, They are ultrasonic transmitters that fire sound waves at the fuel and convert the bounce back signal to fuel level. (Empty,¼,½,¾ & full)

Maretron | TLM100

Thanks. They offer a number of different ways to measure tank level, so I wanted to be sure I understood which you were using.

I'm not sure of all the details behind it, but Mareteron is very clear that you must use their gasket with the TLM100 when mounting it to the tank. I think it has to do with the material and not dampening out the ultrasonic pulses from the TLM100.

Any chance you reused the old sender gasket?

I've had the above mentioned fuel management system installed and am having trouble with the tank capacity readings. The sight glass at both tanks reads ½ while the monitor on the bridge reads starboard "½" and Port "full".
By loosening the sensor mounting screws on the fuel tank I can get the port tank to read ½. Is it possible that by tightening the sensor flange mounting screws that a "warping " is causing the erroneous reading at the monitor?

Would someone who has this Maretron system (or any Maretron system) please comment on your experience with this product line?

This is an example (not mine) of the kinds of readings I should see.

I'm assuming you installed the fuel flow sending units as well. I'm really curious how you made out with them. I could not get a commitment from Maretron that they would be sized correctly for my Detroits. PM me if you prefer.
Sounds like you fixed your posted issue.

I'm not sure of all the details behind it, but Mareteron is very clear that you must use their gasket with the TLM100 when mounting it to the tank.Any chance you reused the old sender gasket?
Interesting! I didn't install the system. I was just sick of waiting for the tech to come up with a solution. Thanks for the tip on the gasket! Since backing off the screws a little, the system seems to be working fine!
The information I'm getting on the bridge is fantastic!

I know I posted this before but just take a second to see the info that I now enjoy! And no recalibrating!

Attachments

• Fuel Info.jpg
    Fuel Info.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
I'm assuming you installed the fuel flow sending units as well. I'm really curious how you made out with them..
I had the "Pros" install everything so I really can't comment as to how difficult the process was. While cutting the fuel lines for the sensor installation, they did get some filings in the lines which brought the sensors to a screeching halt. The head tech disassembled one and found the filings. New sensors were ordered, installed & we were off to the races until the tank sensor problem popped up. I know this must sound like a terribly fragile system but it is not. Good mechanical practices (ie deburring anything that was cut, blowing lines out, not over tightening screws, etc.) would have resulted in a flawless install.

Have you contacted Maretron?
Several times and they have been most helpful. They can't, however, guarantee that good mechanical practices will be employed. All problems that were encountered would have been completely bi-passed with a little common sense. (Good mechanical practices.) I was a mechanic on my off flying days in the Navy and I thought back to the various schools they sent me to. Hydraulics, metal fabrication, trouble shooting, etc. and the problems I encountered would not have happened in the Navy. A lot of these new electronic installations call for more skills than just "spark chasing."

In my experience, hiring a 'pro' usually translates into hiring someone to come break your boat and cost you even more time and money.

Well, took the boat for a test drive today and managed some poor photos with the iPhone. Choppy water, so I had a hell of a time trying to keep the camera steady.The photos are at different throttle settings and speeds. My tachs aren't working correctly as you can see in the shots of fuel burn for both engines. (That's another project.) You get the idea, though, on what this Maretron system can tell you. I plan on getting out next week with a better camera that will catch the tach setting with the fuel info and hopefully the speed all in one frame. The glare from the sun was very bad but turning the boat so there would be no glare resulted in more chop and an unsteady camera. I apologize for that and will do much better in the future.

Attachments

• IMG_1475.jpg
    IMG_1475.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1473.jpg
    IMG_1473.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_1485.jpg
    IMG_1485.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1477.jpg
    IMG_1477.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1480.jpg
    IMG_1480.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1471.jpg
    IMG_1471.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_1472.jpg
    IMG_1472.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 126
Well, took the boat for a test drive today and managed some poor photos with the iPhone..
Relative to the above photos which are displayed on the Maretron DSM 150, here are a couple that show fuel information, received from the maretron Fuel System on my new Raymarine Es128. Keep in mind that the engines are not running in these photos, thus the empty blanks.

Information is labeled by Raymarine, but by editing, I can re-label to my liking.

Note:I only have 133 gallons left in the tanks. When I next fill up, whether it's a full tank or just partially full, the numbers change reflecting what the fuel tank sensors show the level to be. No entry required on my part.

There's much more fuel information available but the photos show what the Raymarine 128 can display. Other additional info can be viewed on the Maretron DSM 150.

Attachments

• Full Fuel Screen.jpg
    Full Fuel Screen.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 104
  • Partial Fuel Screen.jpg
    Partial Fuel Screen.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Walt

Are your tanks symmetrical so 3/4, 1/2 or 1/3 full by level is the same multiplier for gallons. Mine are not, they conform to the hull and bottom angle changes.

Walt

Are your tanks symmetrical so 3/4, 1/2 or 1/3 full by level is the same multiplier for gallons. Mine are not, they conform to the hull and bottom angle changes.
My tanks are symmetrical but the system allows you to put in any configuration you have. Remember, if you program the dimensions of your tanks & enter the total capacity of same, the FFM100 calculates the rest. (Much like your car: ¼,½,¾ & full, distance to empty, etc.) But also shows time to go, miles to go, nm/gal, etc. It's expensive but pretty damn slick! I said years ago that using my boat as a test bed to try a lot of this new stuff out is my passion. Some guys spend thousands on golf, equipment, rounds and the 19th hole. My passion is the new electronics that are coming out. The next guy to get this boat is going to get one hell of an electronics platform.:blush:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom