inspect fuel tanks on Marine Trader 36 Sundeck?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Herderings

Veteran Member
Would anyone know if there is any kind of access door/etc to inspect the fuel tanks on a 36' Marine Trader Sundeck? I haven't seen anyway to do this without destroying the acoustic pane. Thanks.

You may sometimes find access panels through the main cabin deck inside settees, pilothouse steps or cabin side lockers. Reach inside with a small camera set to flash every time and shoot everywhere on the tank you can reach. If you find lots of water stains or worse yet bad scale then further investigation is warranted. If you have a notebook computer bring it along so you can see your pics bigger. I like 20mp resolution.

Would anyone know if there is any kind of access door/etc to inspect the fuel tanks on a 36' Marine Trader Sundeck? I haven't seen anyway to do this without destroying the acoustic pane. Thanks.

Thank you both very much... I will look for access panels there. My accepted offer/contract included my request to be able to remove a small part of the panel in front of each tank in order to insert a camera on a stick. Owner agreed. Never having done anything like this--I assume the panel piece is glued on somehow and will crumble/be destroyed. I intend to have cloth on the bilge to collect pieces and some tile with me to replace what I take out. Not knowing if this tile is very hard or not (looks great and un-stained in the photos and I am headed to the boat next week to survey) can you give me any advice? Figure I should have a good knife to cut both old and new pieces, glue, etc? Any tips please? I intend to look at both top and bottom of tanks--if they'll let me cut twice. Love the laptop tip... perfect. Again I have written permission--but my surveyor will not help me do this as he refuses to "destroy any part of a boat, no matter the permission, as owners are sue-happy regardless." Here's some pics also... if anyone cares to look at others the listing is: 1988 Marine Trading 36 Marine Trader Sundeck Motoryacht Power Boat For Sale
THANK YOU again so much. Linda

Attachments

• tile 2.jpg
    tile 2.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 65
  • tile 3.jpg
    tile 3.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 47
  • tile 4.jpg
    tile 4.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 71
  • tile.jpg
    tile.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Herderings said:
Owner agreed.
What a tough spot for any owner. Say no, lose a sale; say yes and who knows where it goes. I think I would only agree after survey and need some kind of comfort the buyer could return it to "as found." Maybe what you cut out can just be made into quality, access panels for future??? Sounds like a pretty co-operative owner, to me.

Yes... cooperative owner and I believe the permission is mainly based on confidence that they are in fine shape--which would be ideal. I guess this because the boat was on the market for only a day (I've been searching almost two years for this model) and they have five other people (if you believe the broker--and I do for he told me this after a signed purchase contract) lined up to see it. Love the future access panel idea--maybe they'll even not mind leaving it open, which I would want to do, for the same reason. Fingers crossed...and that negotiations will be smooth should they show to be badly rusted. (Knowledgeable friend's in the area viewed it for me--saw nor smelled any signs of leakage of any type fuel, water, etc.) I don't dare ask for or do a compression test as that potential for damage scares me!

Herderings; said:
I believe the permission is mainly based on confidence that they are in fine shape--which would be ideal....and they have five other people lined up to see it.
Yeah, if it all works then the holes are yours to deal with. not being familiar with your market but that price sure seems reasonable. What's with the red over spray, just touch up?

Keep us posted.

That boat looks to be one of the finest MT36 aft decks I've ever seen. And the price is a steal.

Stop listening to these yahoos and buy it!

Yessiree Al... and THANK YOU. I've been hovering for over 1.5 years and jumped on this the very same day it came on the market. And I'm talking accepted offer that same day, sight unseen. I NEED (!) a.ka. really want, this exact model as I have a narrow beam slip and there aren't many 36' trawlers less than 12'4" wide built--esp in this price range. My first post was "wanted" on this forum--then asked for help with a Sundowner tug that I couldn't make myself buy. I just have been refusing to settle for anything else--much to the chagrin of others (paying for an empty slip this whole time.) I even surveyed this model in the keys last year and had to refuse it. Wild thing is I had finally decided to buy the same model way up north on Lake MI and weather finally let us go see it just the week before. It has replaced tanks... but the cruise to Key West, as fun as it would be, is a difficulty for us. So I checked ONE LAST time before calling them with an offer... Voila!! Good juju or voodoo or something. Can't help but want to see the tanks regardless-- might have to renegotiate final price depending on their condition. What a kooky thing MT built--no tank access. (Single with a bowthruster was my dream too...)

I'm so ready, RT. Ecstatic with high hopes... realistic expectations. Scheduled survey and packing my vehicle with enough to live on her (snowbird plans.) Waited 15 years for a slip to "pop" on the Naval Air Station in Key West. We're finally retired, again, and can begin to enjoy. Lived aboard my boat for a decade in the late 80s... then my new husband (yes, it is Ms Herdering!) and I bought a sailboat with plans. Life got in the way--overseas too many years with the USMC-- and we have been BOATLESS for some 25 whole years. I am READY!!!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom