Happy St Patrick's Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
And PLEASE don't be eating any corned beef and cabbage - it's as Irish as a burrito!

Attachments

• irishblessing.jpg
    irishblessing.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 114
Maybe not, but my grandfather was as Irish as the day is long. We always shared corned beef and cabbage dinner every St. Patty's Day...still do from his recipe.

Happy St. Patty's Day to ya!

McFlyWright

I'm sure I'm showing my ignorance, but ... what else is there besides corned beef & cabbage, which I like and has always been our St. Paddy's Day meal.

A six pack and a potato? :hide:

Happy St Patrick's Day.....

Attachments

• stpatrick.jpg
    stpatrick.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 112
I'm sure I'm showing my ignorance, but ... what else is there besides corned beef & cabbage, which I like and has always been our St. Paddy's Day meal.

A six pack and a potato? :hide:

First of all, St Patricks's Day when I was growing up was a very religious holiday. Mass in the morning, family all day, and home for a dinner in the evening. There was no such thing as parades anywhere in Ireland.

Dinner was pretty much what would have been a Sunday Dinner.

Roast beef and Yorkshire pudding with lots of gravy.

Boiled ham, jacket potatoes, and soda bread.

Or, because it is in March which is relatively cold over there, a good Irish Stew with lamb or mutton, or balls of ground beef.

Quite often we would have champ, which is mashed potatoes with scallions mixed in. Throw in some potato bread, and scones with lots of salted butter afterward with a cup of tea.

Then in the evening with extended family, a good party or ceili.

The craic was ninty.

Please stoppppp....

"Roast beef and Yorkshire pudding with lots of gravy."

I live in Brazilian North East..

The craic was ninty.[/QUOTE]

Mighty!

Mom grew up on a farm with no plumbing or electricity. All cooking over an open fire. My first visit in 1978, Uncle Jimmy showed me the new water heater-a boiler on the side of the turf stove.

Mom never heard of corned beef until she arrived here. Our St. Patricks Day dinner was always (still is) Boiled Dinner. As Menzies says ham, spuds, carrots, onions and cabbage. Always the cup of tea!

Rob

The craic was ninty.

Mighty!

Mom grew up on a farm with no plumbing or electricity. All cooking over an open fire. My first visit in 1978, Uncle Jimmy showed me the new water heater-a boiler on the side of the turf stove.

Mom never heard of corned beef until she arrived here. Our St. Patricks Day dinner was always (still is) Boiled Dinner. As Menzies says ham, spuds, carrots, onions and cabbage. Always the cup of tea!

Rob

Yep.

But always with plenty of Bisto (stock cube) thrown in and flour to thicken the juice.

Last edited:
And PLEASE don't be eating any corned beef and cabbage - it's as Irish as a burrito!

I had shepherd's pie for lunch and (gulp :eek: ) corned beef and cabbage for dinner. If I drank plenty of Guinness, too, am I forgiven?

I had shepherd's pie for lunch and (gulp :eek: ) corned beef and cabbage for dinner. If I drank plenty of Guinness, too, am I forgiven?

So long as you didn't like the corned beef and were just trying to be Irish for the day!

Bisto! Not that easy to find.

Rob

The craic was ninty.

Mighty!

Rob
Some tips for proper boiled Bacon and cabbage....

Choose a fatty piece of salted ham. Steep in water overnight to wash out the excess salt.

After the bacon is cooked boil the cabbage in the same salty water; it gives it a gorgeous hammy/salty tang.

Boil your potatoes until the skin start to crack, then to get super flowery crumbly tasting Irish style spuds put a scrunched up tea towel over the top of the saucepan and leave to stand for a least 15 minutes; the cloth absorbes the excess moiusure and turns the insides all lovely and flowery.

PS: potatoes in Ireland are always served in their skins; you'll have the difficult job of peeling off the skins when they're on your plate!

Last edited:
PS: potatoes in Ireland are always served in their skins; you'll have the difficult job of peeling off the skins when they're on your plate!

Actually you eat the skins.

"Skins an' awl" is a popular saying.

So long as you didn't like the corned beef and were just trying to be Irish for the day!

Wasn't trying to be Irish at all, though there is plenty of it running through my veins. I just like to eat corned beef and cabbage; and shepherd's pie even more. It was just the one day of the year when both were available at the local restaurants and lunch joints. We don't have a decent Irish pub in this town.

Now, when you say "shepherd's Pie" do you mean with lamb. Or with ground beef - which is Cottage Pie? Seems here in the US they get a bit confused about all that! :)

OK, it was beef. I know the difference, but that's what they called it on the menu. But then again, they called the stuff that came in the silver bullet can "beer." :nonono:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom