View Single Post
Old 03-18-2016, 07:32 AM   #42
rwidman
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
I have relatively new (1 year) Lifeline AGMs in my boat's house bank. 4 group 31s. My boat was set up for AGM batteries when it was built in 2008, and being a relatively unenlightened big boat owner with few skills, I elected to leave the charging setup alone and go back with AGMs.

The boat has a Charles charger, Balmar alternator and regulator set to AGM settings. Next time I might go with golf cart batteries since by that time I might know enough to change things over. At my current slow/steep learning curve that's still doubtful. ��

Question: my charger (Charles 5000 60amp) stays on all the time when at the dock, and I assume the charger is stepping down to a float charge level, but I have never put a volt meter on the batteries to check that. It is set to the AGM battery setting. The charger is the one that came with the boat when it was built in 2008. Am I being too trusting of this 8 year old charger?
Not "too trusting", but if you want to know how it's supposed to work, read the documentation that came with it. If you don't have it, download it off the Internet.

I agree with your assumption that the charger is varying the charge rate based on the charge of the batteries.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote