View Single Post
Old 03-17-2016, 06:36 AM   #25
Forkliftt
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
A couple of thoughts....
*I intentionally faced the lag bolts towards the cleat- my thoughts are that it will provide more strength from the bolts than a side load. You will notice the "green" color of the piling. As I drilled the pilot holes for the 1/2"x10" lag bolts I didn't encounter any rot.
*The benefit of adding this one slider was to keep the aft of the boat pulled to the right, allowing for easy access from the stern. This is an old marina with short finger piers- and a side access was impractical. Obviously cross lines aft would provide a real challenge.
*You will notice the second 5/8" line attached to the cleat with the shore power/ water line secured to it. Consider it a safety line.
A few years back I kept the boat at a marina in Bay St Louis that had slide set ups for the slips prior to Katrina. They allowed me to salvage several of the remaining ones for my slip which I through bolted (yup) to the pilings. These "bent at the ends" we're not nearly as thick as what I just installed. They were galvanized. Noise was tolerable. Cost was affordable.
*The Harbor Master has given me permission to make any improvements that I want- provided they are done well. I recent built this "pier" aft of the boat. No permission asked/ no problems. I yield the floor....Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1458214568.280709.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	49844

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️