Boat lost in Bellingham

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sad to see a treasure like Bergen bit the dust. I'm sure there are many sad faces in Bellingham over this.

Mike0-there ay be some sad faces, but if it can be said that a boat had a long, full life, the Bergen certainly did!

There were a lot of boats out of WA making the run up the coast in the middle of that big blow this week. All heading for the herring roe opening tomorrow. Looks like they all made it ok.

Last edited:
I read the article. Bergen; hell of a good fishing boat. That baby was a true Trawler, who deserved that category title!

There were a lot of boats out of WA making the run up the coast in the middle of that big blow this week. All heading for the herring roe opening tomorrow. Looks like they all made it ok.

Boats out of WA going to a roe fishery in BC???

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Nope, AK area 1 opens today.

Area 1 - also known as Southeast Alaska for the non-west coasters. Sitka is where "everyone" is today for the herring opening. I heard on the radio yesterday that they're on a two-hour opening notice.

dave

Last edited:
Indeed the Sitka sac roe fishery is on two hour notice. The herring are here very early and have caught many of the participants by surprise. The Alaska fish cop boat Kestral which manages the fishery began entering the Sitka area from Juneau about an hour ago. It is slowly checking out the herring population just north of town. Yesterday we watched some test set in this area.

This is combat fishing at it best with boats raming each other, corking and setting over or inside another boat. It is also a battle of numerous spotter planes battling along with enforcement aircraft attempting to observe. This is spring in Sitka with over 100 vessels crowded into a small area. One set can be worth a million dollars.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom