View Single Post
Old 03-16-2016, 02:34 PM   #40
Hawgwash
Guru

City: Sidney
Well, this has been an interesting discussion and it is again obvious that when it comes to regulations, more time can be spent reading all the information than actually operating the equipment. As a result there is a wide range of understanding among users.

It appears that all AIS devices must be in operation at all times except when moored and when safety is compromised. This appears to apply to Class A & B both in mandatory and voluntary use.

To me, compulsory use is counterproductive to a degree and therefore I would look long and hard at my personal choice to have it.

The print is original, the bold is mine:

6. When must AIS be in operation? Vessels equipped with AIS (either by mandatory carriage or voluntarily) must abide by the requirements set forth in 33CFR 164.46(d) and should especially ensure their AIS is in properly installed, using an assigned MMSI, and, that its data is accessible from the primary conning position of the vessel. Also, that it be in 'effective operating condition', which entails the continuous operation of AIS and the accurate input and upkeep of AIS data fields during all times that the vessel is navigating (underway or at anchor), and, at least 15 minutes prior to unmooring. Should continual operation of AIS compromise the safety or security of the vessel or where a security incident is imminent, the AIS may be switched off.This action and the reason for taking it must be reported to the nearest U.S.Captain of the Port or VesselTraffic Center and recorded in the ship's logbook. The AIS should return to continuous operation as soon as the source of danger has been mitigated.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote