Old 03-16-2016, 09:11 AM   #35
ksanders
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
Resolution is a factor of the sensor, not the lighting. Most analog CIF cameras are fairly low resolution since they are not digital sensors. If you have power and a BNC connector to the camera, it is an analog CIF camera.

On the other hand, most IP cameras are far higher resolution than an analog CIF camera. IP cameras can be wifi or wired with Ethernet, and often Power over Ethernet (POE), so your power supply can power several cameras from one source. On a POE powered IP camera, you can have 5-6 megapixel sensors and that gets you the resolution you want. The current mobotix Q25 has a 6 mp camera. The image I uploaded was a scaled down Q12 (older version) with a 3mp camera. It is small (50mm deep by 160) and either recessed or surface mounted. On the surface mounted version, it can see 180 degrees (within 2 inches of the ceiling) and 360 degrees around. You can designate virtual views, fuel filters, engine gauges, inverter displays, etc., all from the same camera. The on-board computer takes the fish-eye camera image and straightens it out and lets you select different display formats.

It looks like a smoke alarm with a lens in the center.

It is a very nice high rez 360 degree camera.
For $79 each I have 480P resolution, as you know the same as a normal TV signal.

Thats plenty of resolution.

All my cameras on the boat (and at my business) are WIFI enabled. POE is OK, but I have power available in more places than wired ethernet, so I went with WIFI.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote