How can a moored boat be moving?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Speed input can be via GPS or transducer. If transducer is selected it will read current but show no movement.

HMMMM, Constant errors ,

And some adventurous folks allow their GPS to steer in a channel?

I suspect the problem is a poor GPS antenna or poor connection. I had the same problem--the AIS target of my boat jumped all over the place before I attached a GPS antenna. Attached the antenna and voila! Much better. The GPS antenna is optional on my class B unit but on some vessels, it's essential if there is too much equipment or other shielding surrounding the AIS box.

Jim

Last edited:
Speed input can be via GPS or transducer. If transducer is selected it will read current but show no movement.

AIS gets its data from a GPS so I'm not sure that is possible. I don't believe you can select what type of speed input the AIS sees. It may not even be able to read a speed transducer signal.

My 740s has the ability to select speed input from multiple sources. The data provided from the 740s to the AIS includes that information.

Is the target in question actually moving on the screen or are you just seeing the its information?

My 740s has the ability to select speed input from multiple sources. The data provided from the 740s to the AIS includes that information.

Yes but are you sure the AIS can see/read transducer speed? Can you switch between the two on your AIS? Just because the data is present doesn't mean the AIS unit can use it.

If an AIS did read transducer speed the information it would be outputting to other vessels would not reflex the vessels true SOG and could be dangerously misleading.

Well, this has been an interesting discussion and it is again obvious that when it comes to regulations, more time can be spent reading all the information than actually operating the equipment. As a result there is a wide range of understanding among users.

It appears that all AIS devices must be in operation at all times except when moored and when safety is compromised. This appears to apply to Class A & B both in mandatory and voluntary use.

To me, compulsory use is counterproductive to a degree and therefore I would look long and hard at my personal choice to have it.

The print is original, the bold is mine:

6. When must AIS be in operation? Vessels equipped with AIS (either by mandatory carriage or voluntarily) must abide by the requirements set forth in 33CFR 164.46(d) and should especially ensure their AIS is in properly installed, using an assigned MMSI, and, that its data is accessible from the primary conning position of the vessel. Also, that it be in 'effective operating condition', which entails the continuous operation of AIS and the accurate input and upkeep of AIS data fields during all times that the vessel is navigating (underway or at anchor), and, at least 15 minutes prior to unmooring. Should continual operation of AIS compromise the safety or security of the vessel or where a security incident is imminent, the AIS may be switched off.This action and the reason for taking it must be reported to the nearest U.S.Captain of the Port or VesselTraffic Center and recorded in the ship's logbook. The AIS should return to continuous operation as soon as the source of danger has been mitigated.

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with these requirements. My (Class B) AIS goes on at least 15 mins before departure as I power up the pilot house. It remains on until I power down when I return to my home port. I don't tend to spend more than a night at another marina, and so don't bother to shut down electronics in the pilot house. If I were staying for longer I probably would end up turning off the AIS for the duration.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom