Old 03-14-2016, 05:51 PM   #27
Britannia
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Richard, I run marinetraffic and boatbeacon on my tablet while underway. Both have inaccuracies with boats in the wrong position (delay?), boats shown present which are not (ghosting?) present commercial vessels not displayed and docked vessels showing speed which might be from historical data. I've never used a proper AIS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
it's an app for crying out loud, that relies on 2nd hand data. Is anybody really surprised it's not dead nuts accurate all the time!?
Here's my thinking. It's one thing for it to be out of date, it's another for it to publish inaccurate data. After all, these are AIS data packets that are being reported by volunteer stations. They may be delayed, they may be intermittent, but they would need to be corrupted for them to be inaccurate.

The example given here shows that the last update was 41 mins ago. So in all likelihood that vessel was not there when I looked at marinetraffic.com. That doesn't mean it was wrong, just out of date.

I agree that it's not a replacement for an AIS - because it's not real time. I'm just curious if anyone has found it to be inaccurate - like it shows an update from 30 seconds ago and clearly the vessel is not there.

Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2016-03-14 at 3.45.17 PM.png  
Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote