Trans-oceanic transport

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

klee wyck

Guru
Vessel Name
Domino and Libra
Vessel Make
Malcom Tennant 20M and Noordzee Kotter 52
The search function did not yield much here.....

I may need to move a boat from Northern Europe to PNW. I am looking for experiences that may enlighten me. Reliability, schedules, cost, etc. Go with specifically purposed boat transporters or just deck cargo with good loadmasters on either end? Anything. So far I am in a pretty shallow pool.

Thanks for sharing any insight on this.

Klee-I post this a lot in response to similar inquiries. Call Peters & May. Google them for the closest office to you. They arrange world wide shipment of yachts. We used them from Miami to Vancouver. We were extremely satisfied. One price covered everything, They were very efficient and delivered our boat in perfect condition. Not connected with the just a very satisfied customer. All that said, be prepared for the cost, it ain't cheap!

We'd also recommend Seven Star. However, you're going to run into quite a challenge. You're probably going to have to change ships at least once on the trip. Most shippers and boat transport companies come from Europe to the East Coast and from the East Coast to the West Coast, but don't have single routes that take you the full distance. Give both of those companies calls and see what you find out from them. Then let us know.

I personally would lean to boat transporters, but regardless, just make sure your contract is such that you can hold one party responsible for any damage and they can't pass the buck. Many can carry you from Northern Europe to South Florida and then from South Florida to British Columbia.

Last edited:
I purchased transit insurance. It's not particularly expensive.

It took two vessels to transport my boat from China to Oakland CA.

China is actually more straightforward to the west coast than Northern Europe is.

You might want to reach out to Ken Williams the owner of Sans Souci, a 68' Nordhavn. He recently shipped Sans Souci from Spain to Florida with a final destination of Seattle, WA. From memory he used Sevenstar Yacht Transport for the Spain to Florida leg, not sure if he's completed the second leg from Florida to Seattle.

Here's a link to Ken's blog: (Home) - www.kensblog.com

Here's a link to Sevenstar Yacht Transport: Sevenstar Yacht Transport - Let The Best Ship Your Yacht

United has regular sailings between the PACNW and Florida. I got a $40k quote from them recently for my 53' OAL boat.

From Florida they have sailings to Europe which is around $30k

United has regular sailings between the PACNW and Florida. I got a $40k quote from them recently for my 53' OAL boat.

From Florida they have sailings to Europe which is around $30k

The memories of Yacht Path make me reluctant to recommend United. I will advise that they do seem to miss their schedules by a greater amount than Seven Star, although all have some variation.

BC to Florida and Florida to the Med are very popular routes. Florida to Northern Europe and Scandinavia not quite as popular but common as well.

Thanks for the input so far. This is matching with what I have been able to discover to this point. This is a tough and expensive route as opposed to some others. As it stands, perhaps Raven Offshore seems like the top choice I have run across. I think they can arrange this on one ship and for something in the ballpark of the total Kevin referred to in his post. They are based in Sydney BC and look to have lots of experience with good loadmasters. This is definitely gonna leave a mark.....

Thanks for the input so far. This is matching with what I have been able to discover to this point. This is a tough and expensive route as opposed to some others. As it stands, perhaps Raven Offshore seems like the top choice I have run across. I think they can arrange this on one ship and for something in the ballpark of the total Kevin referred to in his post. They are based in Sydney BC and look to have lots of experience with good loadmasters. This is definitely gonna leave a mark.....

Yes, its expensive.

But...

Lets say you for whatever reason did not want to pilot your own boat through the Panama Canal. Time constraints, hassle, sometimes a little trepidation from your better half...

You could go from the PACNW, or even cheaper Ensenada, MX to Florida.

Then spend a year or two cruising the great loop.

Then load up again for a transit to Europe. Not many of our boats can cross the Atlantic, but cruising the coastlines of Europe is doable.

Yes, it might be expensive, but in the overall scheme of things I bet its cheaper than trading ones current boat for the same size ocean crossing capable boat.

QUOTE]

Was that because of the Yellow Roof:facepalm:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom