Portable refrigerator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gbonas

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Stormy
Vessel Make
Grandbanks 46 europa
We are researching replacing our portable refer/freezer. We have it stored on the bridge and use it for added refrigerator space. Looking for comments and what brands have worked well. Looking for at least a 84 qt. what we cannot seem to find are white ones except the very expensive frigibar. Please help!

Last summer I bought Engel 040 in European electrical standard 12v/220 to carry food and beverages from the house to the boat, and to put sometimes on the fly bridge under the Bimini top. It works unbelievable well, very cold with very very low 12v consumption. It's a bit expensive, but Engel or nothing in my opinion.

Here is the US electrical standard model :

Amazon.com: Engel MR040 - 40 Qt. Marine Fridge Freezer: Refrigerators: Sports & Outdoors

Take your pick. We've chartered boats or had friends with both the Dometic and isotherm units and were pretty impressed by the performance in 80 degree+ sunlight up on an open bridge. I'm sure the Engels are excellent too, but my only experience is with their ice chests.

Marine Portable Fridges on Sale

Take your pick. We've chartered boats or had friends with both the Dometic and isotherm units and were pretty impressed by the performance in 80 degree+ sunlight up on an open bridge. I'm sure the Engels are excellent too, but my only experience is with their ice chests.

Marine Portable Fridges on Sale

Very interesting, the temperature range is impressive. Good to know, thanks !

We've used an Engel MT-35 for 7 years both to transport frozen food to the boat and as an extra freezer. Amazingly low power consumption and we've never had a problem with it.

Last edited:
As to the color, just have a cover made for it out of white Stamoid or something like it. You can have screen vents and zippers put in as needed.

We've used an Engel MT-35 for 7 years both to transport frozen food to the boat and as an extra freezer. Amazingly low power consumption and we've never had a problem with it.

Yes I fully agree with the unbelievable low power consumption with Engel even at very cold setup what is a proof of very good thermal insulation.

We' had an 80 qt Edgestar on the boat deck for almost 3 years - very satisfied.

Keith

Thx

Thx for all they great replies!

I currently have 3 Engles. 2 swing door uprights and 1 lift top. They are permently mounted. The oldest is 4 years old. I had 2 others, the plastic one in grey and red that looks like a 48 qt ice chest. Stick with the metal ones. When you see condensation on the plastic top, you know there is an insulation problem and the plastic ones seemed to run way more.

80 qt engel for five years now on fly bridge. Had to clean contacts once but otherwise perfect as freezer and as fridge. We have metal with cover. Some rust showing up only on the lid front fasteners

I've had several Isotherm fridges and whilst they work OK, every one had a problem with the freezer door fittings breaking, and we're careful users.
A new door for the freezer was half the price of a new fridge.
Needless to say we changed to a different make, we've received very good, friendly, informal service from Penguin Refrigeration and bought a Vitrifrigo marine larder fridge from them.

Two friends have Engel chest freezer/fridges with the Danfoss compressors.
I've had to repair both so be carefull.

The top mounted control boards are NOT sealed against moisture.

Both units are under good canvas deck and bridge covers-no leaks.

Both units had been protected with Reflectix to try to limit sun exposure and help the unit stay cool. The case colour is grey, a quite dark grey.
Big mistake.
Condensation accumlated under the Reflextix cover and got inside the board rusting out the Tactile P.B. switches and LED plus some tracks. Luckily the counter chip was OK.

The parts were cheap enough but the work was a PIA since my desoldering iron is poor.
My soldering iron is a good one so replacing the removed parts was easy. Just a big pain removing the rusted pieces without damaging the board traces.

So now both of them know to not cover with a tight fitting cover, rather use a tarp or a cover that shields from the sun , keeps rain off but allows good airflow.

They had given good service to our friends for 7-8 years untill this happened.
Just be carefull how you cover it.

Engel fridges DO NOT have a Danfoss compressor.

Engel fridges have Sawafuji swing motor.
But Waeco/Dometic do use a Danfoss compressor, mine is fine after 7 years.

Engel fridges DO NOT have a Danfoss compressor.

Engel fridges have Sawafuji swing motor.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I mispoke. The units are Waeco. Regardless, watch out for the controls as they are not as waterproof or resistant in as they should be in the Waeco.

I'll hope Engel is a bit smarter but none of these things appear to be designed to have even minimal water resistance, at least on the units I've seen.

I have looked at them in the stores. My wife and I are considering one but we now are forewarned.

Waeco are often packaged with an insulating cover,it has clear plastic inserts over the controls, perhaps that helps. Touch wood, we`ve had no problem, yet.

Thanks for all of the responses. After all the research we decided to go with the whitner. Hopefully the joy of low price will last!!!!! We will let you know.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom