View Single Post
Old 02-14-2011, 07:15 PM   #2
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
New anchor buying decision

Based on the shipping costs from the southwestern Pacific that were in place when we were talking to Rocna about one of their anchors, shipping anything over about 20 pounds can cost in excess of the value of the item you are shipping. This was one reason Rocna had just begun manufacturing their anchors in a second plant in Vancouver, BC, which is where we got ours.

At that time--- this was some five years ago or more-- the shipping cost for a Rocna 20 (44#) from New Zealand would have come close to or exceeded the purchase price of the anchor. I have no idea how shipping prices stack up today.

While you have made your choice and I see no reason for you to change it, I will say that for myself, I would never let the "ethics" of a manufacturer's advertising or promotional campaign prevent me from buying their product if I felt their product was the best thing for what I needed it to do. But then I've been working in the advertising and marketing world my whole life, so I take all the hype with a grain of salt. Hell, I help produce it, so perhaps I've learned to totally ignore it when making the final decision on what to buy, be it a TV, car, smartphone, or anchor.

In the case of an anchor, my boat's going to stay attached to the bottom by virtue of the anchor's design and manufacturing quality, not because the owner of the company tried to make a competitor look bad by conducting a test in such a way that the competitive product didn't perform as well as his own product. I may not agree with his promotional tactics, but if I think he makes the best anchor for my needs, that's what I'm gonna buy. His ethics are his problem, not mine

-- Edited by Marin on Monday 14th of February 2011 09:23:16 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote