Fortaleza to trinidad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdayan

I am planning a to go from Brasil to trinidad Tobago, but I need to refuel in french Guyana or Suriname.
I would like to know if someone has already refuelled there anda has some suggestion.
Thank you!

You have fuel in French Guiana and also in Suriname

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa
Sent from my iPhone, using Trawler Forum

In Suriname, just don't leave your boat alone. Dock in the police dock but don't leave alone.

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa

We did the trip from Fortaleza to Trinidad with 2 stops in French Guiana on our last boat. Fuel was via jerry jugs but we've heard there is a marina at Saint Laurent that has recently opened. If you can get to French Guiana from Fortaleza and refuel, you can make Trinidad with out another fuel stop. Watch the river entrances for shoaling. Knowing some French is a big help in French Guiana. You'll also have some a push from the north setting current. Have a good trip.

Did you start your trip?

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa

In Suriname, just don't leave your boat alone. Dock in the police dock but don't leave alone.

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa

I realy don't know from which source your information comes, i visit Paramaribo minimal 4 times a year. By car (for my Brazilian car i have an European Insurers Green Card to pass French Guiana) and boat.

Be aware that French Guiana is European Territory and all European rules are implemanted, the currency is Euro as of the price level is European.

Brazil is one of the most dangerous contries in the world, Fortaleza is in the top 10 of the list of most dangerous cities in the world. Suriname with the capital Paramaribo is an isle of safety in this region.

Find valid informtion for sailors on http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/Suriname

Just an impression of info about Brazil versus Suriname;

Brazil Security

March 2015: Itaparica - three cruising couples suffered yacht crime here.

February 2015: Yet another violent violent attack on a yacht in Fortaleza just an hour after its arrival there.

February 2015: A cruising sailor was shot in Sao Luis aboard his yacht at anchor and another yacht in Fortaleza was boarded by armed thieves.
The security situation in Maragojipe city located in the Reconcavo Baiano appears to be worsening.

Notices 2014:
A cruising boat was boarded April 2014, the crew attacked, beaten and robbed within moments of anchoring in Fortaleza. See report here.
Yachts visiting Belem have been boarded and robbed in the past, and sadly in March 2014 another similar attack was reported by a cruising boat. See report here. This port is best avoided.
In the Salvador, Itaparica, Morro de Sao Paulo area of Brazil there is a significant amount of armed crime. Cruisers should be be wary about walking ashore at night and lock themselves into their boats at night. Two boats have reported an armed boarding, assault and robbery so far in 2014 (see latest report here).

Earlier Notices:
Four boats anchored outside the two marinas in the Port area of Salvador, were boarded and robbed in the first 2 weeks of June 2012. It is strongly recommended that, unless taking up a berth in one of the marinas, vessels should avoid anchoring in the Port area. For alternative options see Salvador de Bahia.

A notice published at the Aratu Yacht Club warns members and visiting yachts not to visit secluded anchorages in the Bahia de Todos os Santos. An American yacht was boarded at gunpoint at the anchorage known as "the waterfall" in February 2012, the Captain advised that he was unaware that such a warning was in force.

It is advisable when cruising Brazil to avoid isolated anchorages.
Levels of crime and violence are high, particularly in major cities. You should be particularly vigilant before and during the festive and Carnival periods. Bank card fraud is common.

Suriname Security

Currently (August 2014) fishermen in and around the Corentyne River (which is the border between Guyana and Suriname) are being violently attacked by pirates and losing anchors and fishing gear. This area should be avoided.

The Caribbean Safety and Security Net (safetyandsecuritynet@gmail.com) gather information by anchorage or by island, so sailors can plan their cruising in the Caribbean with an eye to appropriate behaviour and precautions wherever they decide to go. Should you have information about a security incident, as well as contacting Noonsite please also forward details to the Caribbean Safety and Security Net, as theirs is the most comprehensive source of Caribbean security incidents against sailors on the net. Please be sure to include boat name, date of incident and anchorage/port where the incident took place.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom