Captain for training on Florida's east coast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have been interested in this thread. Assuming a satisfactory survey, I am going to have to learn how to handle a single engine power boat with a bow and stern thruster in about a month. While "concerned" would be too strong a word, I have been thinking about the transition from a sailboat to a power boat. Roughly the same length, both with single engine, but the power boat will be heavier and have a smaller rudder. Growing up with sail boats, I have a pretty innate sense of how a sailboat will spin around its fin keel.

So, any suggestions? How many think that it would be worth the time and expense to hire an instructor for an afternoon? I am inclined to think it would be good, not so much for me as for my wife (ie she doesn't have to learn from me or worry about my learning curve).

If you buy a single engine boat that is trawler like with bow and stern thrusters...hard to say.

If you are a good operator (boats, cars, riding lawnmowers, etc) you may not need much help. Especially if a quick learner.

You could go out on your own on benign days and practice NOT using the thrusters just like a sailboat (some trawlers have pretty good sized rudders so response is similar but less than the average sailboat in my experiences.

If thinks don't fo exactly as planned..then get on the thrusters and correct....with both bow and stern thrusters...if you have years experience driving sailboats under some demanding conditions..my guess is you will be fine (as long as your thrusters can save you like a teaching captain could)...you will pick it up would be my bet.

But like Capt Bill said...can't hurt ....especially for your wife. though I still think in a half dozen trips you could be adequate and your wife comfortable. If you have never used thrusters before it is like someone with only one arm getting a second one.

Last edited:
So, any suggestions? How many think that it would be worth the time and expense to hire an instructor for an afternoon? I am inclined to think it would be good, not so much for me as for my wife (ie she doesn't have to learn from me or worry about my learning curve).

Before going through the expense of hiring a captain for an instructor, you might want to check out if the PO or the broker will give you a few hours of instruction.

The instructor (skipper) I had started with he and I going through the chain locker and every foot of the boat and ALL its equipment to the rudder controls in the lazarette. He instructed us on prop walk and the specifics of my engine and genset and use of throttle and clutch and had us do 360's in the fairways , dock and anchor in the San Juans and hard chart reading and navigation. I guess I was lucky getting him and his advice has stood me well and he never touched the wheel. I think he had a talent for instructing. He also taught heavy weather sailing in San Francisco and he and his family lived aboard, I think, a Lord Nelson tug at the time.
We practiced without the thruster though he did instruct on using it properly w/o throwing the breaker.

Fortunately there are many good instructional captains out there... also fortunately there are many good operational captains out there... unfortunately, as been said one is not necessarily the other. It may take digging as getting your moneys worth of instruction is important but in most boating areas you will find a good instructional captain with some checking.

Also unfortunately there are some USCG licensed captains that are good at neither for a lot of reasons....beware of them at all costs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom