Gas or electric galley?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Question to the original poster..........are you even reading this thread anymore? lol

Greetings,
Mr. BK. I'm not even going to ask why you have a cooker in the head....

Or a propane, Vacuflash toilet? I cannot recommend them...although soothing at first...

I'm one of the few with an alcohol stove. I'd rate it preferable to electric, but I'd rather have propane if it wasn't so costly to install and certify.

Alcohol stoves can be dangerous if someone doesn't know how to use them, but I don't have a problem with it, other than it doesn't quite give off as much heat as propane.

I also have a portable butane cartridge stove that I use when cooking a big meal, or need a hot flame for a wok or crab pot.
I was surprised by earlier strong negative comments on alcohol stoves. Had them on 2 boats, no problems, no risk of explosive gases.
We carry a single burner butane cartridge stove too, just to use onshore, current boat has LPG/propane. There is a neat grill attachment for it. The oft criticized LPG Magma kettle grill does much of the cooking on our boat, and does it well.

In the US, pressurized alcohol stoves were attributed to many fires and burns because of their flare ups and almost invisible flames.

I had several, rebuilt 2 of them and totally agree that hey were one of the worst things on a boat.

A wicked alcohol stove like an Origo is a different animal and I could live with one if my boat came with one and I wasn't a liveaboard.

In the US, pressurized alcohol stoves were attributed to many fires and burns because of their flare ups and almost invisible flames.
Neither of mine was pressurized. Never seen them here, no experience of them, they sound nasty.

Neither of mine was pressurized. Never seen them here, no experience of them, they sound nasty.

Nasty is the nicest thing I ever heard them described as....:D

Ski,
We can make coffee on the propane stove ..... ect ect ect. And we use 7gallons of ice when we're away for many days. Guess we really don't need a generator. And that is good. But I admit if we lived in Florida we'd get a gen for the AC. But I would'nt live in a place that was so hostile we'd have to treat the air before it was tollerable.

Upsides and downsides to everywhere. You don't need AC, we often do.

But we get to skinny dip in the warm water without fearing damage to exterior protuberances.

"But I would'nt live in a place that was so hostile we'd have to treat the air before it was tollerable"

Do not drive in NJ with out a SCUBA set!

Over here in our apts and villas we cook with gas and everyone's propane tanks are in the kitchen, not outside. Does anyone have a setup on their boat with the LP tank inside? Judicious use of shut off valves and gas detectors would be prudent of course.

Last edited:
Over here in our apts and villas we cook with gas and everyone's propane tanks are in the kitchen, not outside. Does anyone have a setup on their boat with the LP tank inside? Judicious use of shut off valves and gas detectors would be prudent of course.

Inside !!!! Insane ! :D

Attachments

• 11 PROPANE XXXX.gif
    11 PROPANE XXXX.gif
    54.9 KB · Views: 258
  • 11 propane drain idiot.gif
    11 propane drain idiot.gif
    45.8 KB · Views: 232
  • 11 propane yellow.jpg
    11 propane yellow.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 178
  • gas to propane furnace.jpg
    gas to propane furnace.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 69
  • LPG Far Reach 2.jpg
    LPG Far Reach 2.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 242
No, I betcha those are pictures of the propane setups he sometimes encounters. Marina fire anybody?

Wow boatpoker, is that a residential blower unit in your boat??

Not my boat but seeing this kind of stuff is why I love my job :) My boat is a little neater than that.

Thats a natural gas furnace running off several 20lb. propane tanks strung together and no, the furnace burners were not modified for propane.

Not my boat but seeing this kind of stuff is why I love my job :)

Thats a natural gas furnace running of several 20lb. propane tanks strung together and no the furnace burners were not modified for propane.
I thought it was a Newfie coffee maker.

I agree with Boatpoker, storing a propane tank inside is just nuts. Over the years I have experiences too many leaks with the typical 20lb propane tank. Usually it is a just a leaking connection at the tank, but there are good reasons why propane lockers have to be separate from the rest of the boat and have a gravity drain.

bp:

LOL!
I do safety inspections for our YC. I think you must have been looking over my shoulder!

boatpoker; said:
My boat is a little neater than that.
I really like the work you are doing on your boat but you know poker, what I find really, REALLY neat is that your daughter is right in there getting her hands dirty with you.
:whistling:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom