What is your mpg, gallons per hour etc... at various speeds?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's a performance chart on our Manatee from a couple years ago. Flowscan readings were identical to the original Volvo 90 at 1500 and 2500 and nearly the same throughout the RPM range with a slightly repitched prop. Sweet spot for vibration was 2200, but fuel consumption sweet spot may be 2600, which, at least according to the flowscan, was no perceivable increase over 2500.

Attachments

• Bucky performance chart.jpg
    Bucky performance chart.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 62
This has been an extremely interesting thread for me since I am just finishing up installing a Maretron FFM-100 Fuel Management system. I won't go in to the cost ($$$$$) but below are the data that I expect to see. The FFM-100 displays its data on a DSM -150 that is completely programable. Once the sensors are installed in the fuel lines (2 for each engine) and the sensor are in each fuel tank, the system is automatic. No calibration required after the set up.

In the past I've had 2 FloScans and try as I did, I could never get them close to what I was seeing at the pump.

Panbo: The Marine Electronics Hub: Maretron FFM100 fuel flow monitor test (part 1), as good as it gets?

Last edited:
Yes, very interesting to see all the various numbers, thanks to all who are sharing what is their fuel usage.

In the past I've had 2 FloScans and try as I did, I could never get them close to what I was seeing at the pump.
...[/URL]

Never bothered to calibrate my FloScans. I mentally adjust readings multiplying by 70%, if being conservative, based on experience.

The previous owner of our boat installed the floscan system, but our only gauge is a sight tube. The figures in the graph above are pretty much what we found at the pump, plus or minus 5 percent, and wind/weather would surely have made that much difference. Unit calibrated by Scott Marine Power.

I manage about 1.5 to 2.0 gallons of diesel an hour operating around six or so knots. I'm too lazy now to repeat details which I've already posted here several times.

This has been an extremely interesting thread for me since I am just finishing up installing a Maretron FFM-100 Fuel Management system. I won't go in to the cost ($$$$$) but below are the data that I expect to see. The FFM-100 displays its data on a DSM -150 that is completely programable. Once the sensors are installed in the fuel lines (2 for each engine) and the sensor are in each fuel tank, the system is automatic. No calibration required after the set up.

Panbo: The Marine Electronics Hub: Maretron FFM100 fuel flow monitor test (part 1), as good as it gets?
I'm very interested in your experiences with the Maretron system. I'd like to gradually upgrade my boat to use N2K and the Maretron sensors and software. Fuel, engine gauges, water tanks, etc will all be things I want to add over time.

Richard

measured by fuel in the tank and hour meter.

Various rpms, between 1450 and 1800. Over 15 seasons.

1.5 gph producing 7.5knots on average.

20000 lb displacement

35' LWL, 10.5' beam

Another reference point for a sailboat. Allied Princess 36 full keel sailboat. 36' LOA, 27.5' LWL, 4.5' draft, 11' beam, 15,500 lbs displacement. I normally motor at 6 knots. My 20 year average fuel consumption is 0.46 gph or 13 nm/gal.

manyboats;Quote [Willy is only of average or slightly less than average for efficiency of a FD boat. 17 said:
Eric, I am going to have to add more ballast!! I thought 13,000# was a bit heavy with a factory weight of 10,000# out of the box. The bigger engine, usual adding of home bound items, and dedicated 1200# of lead ballast is some short of your 17,000# Good to know information as we are close in all the other measurements.

Al:blush:

I guess the install of the Flow Scans makes a big difference.

If mounted in a panel that needs to be lifted . I guess folks dont bother to tweak them.

Happily our unit is reachable from behind the panel, so an adjustment after fill up is a snap.

After running the loop for a while we could figure the tank refill with in 2-3 gallons.

I always figured the error was weather the fuel in the tank was hot, expanded, at the end of a day , or cool from overnight.

Cool tanks gave the closest readings , after a few weeks of twitching.

At the end we would not reset the totalizer for 3-or 4 refills , to have a far larger fuel burn for more accuracy.

Last edited:
I'd like to gradually upgrade my boat to use N2K and the Maretron sensors and software. Fuel, engine gauges, water tanks, etc will all be things I want to add over time.
That's my plan in a nut shell! The DSM -150 or 250 (Larger) will display almost any NMEA 2000 data. Maretron also sells small converters (Gateways) that are attached to any NMEA 183 device that convert the data to NMEA 2000. For gadget guys like me, it's a great way to modernize an older boat. (Albeit expensive!)

Another great feature (there are so many) is that you can label your screens any way you want them!

Another thought that may come up is: "Why would I want to put a system like this in my boat?" "My Tank Watch works great as does my rudder indicator, SOC Monitor, compass, etc." Every device you have on board can be displayed on the bridge in one monitor. You simply scroll to the information you want to see! Saves a ton of panel space when new gadgets are installed.

Click on the link below and go to "screen shots" to see what is possible with this system.

Maretron | DSM150

Last edited:
Very interesting. In my case, the fuel and water tank sensors are broken - so I should be installing new senders anyway. I like the idea of being able to use the Maretron software to configure multiple screens in the pilothouse. I'll most likely have a Raymarine MFD on the flybridge that can repeat the N2K data (as shown in the link you provided).

I am concerned about the cost though.

Richard

manyboats;Quote [Willy is only of average or slightly less than average for efficiency of a FD boat. 17 said:
Eric, I am going to have to add more ballast!! I thought 13,000# was a bit heavy with a factory weight of 10,000# out of the box. The bigger engine, usual adding of home bound items, and dedicated 1200# of lead ballast is some short of your 17,000# Good to know information as we are close in all the other measurements.

Al:blush:

Al not a good idea. Adding weight to any vessel will increase fuel consumption.
I don't think your boat is quite a FD boat. And as I recall you said she had a 12' beam. But it's the shape .... not the measurements that makes the FD hull. Many sailboats that weigh 10,000lbs more than Willy have better fuel burn numbers. And I'd get more performance from Willy if I removed some or all the ballast. Actually I do plan to remove about 5% of her ballast ..... in the lazerette. Since I replaced lead where ther was concrete it must be heavier. Later on when it's real hot I'll be down there scoop'in it up and out. I'll sell you some at bridge price.

Last edited:
Not being anal I know only one stat. At my normal cruise at 1750 rpm And 6.5 knots I use about 1.75 gal per hour.

Al not a good idea. Adding weight to any vessel will increase fuel consumption.
I don't think your boat is quite a FD boat. And as I recall you said she had a 12' beam. But it's the shape .... not the measurements that makes the FD hull. Many sailboats that weigh 10,000lbs more than Willy have better fuel burn numbers. And I'd get more performance from Willy if I removed some or all the ballast. Actually I do plan to remove about 5% of her ballast ..... in the lazerette. Since I replaced lead where ther was concrete it must be heavier. Later on when it's real hot I'll be down there scoop'in it up and out. I'll sell you some at bridge price.

Eric, we agreed, I thought, that debating FD/SD was set aside in the need to agree to disagree. Having so stated,:facepalm:
With the 58 HP Perkins running 2400 RPM and obtaining near 7 knots, the fuel burn was 1.5 gallons per hour. With the 85 HP Perkins turning at 1400 RPM the fuel burn is 1.4 gallons per hour.
The ballast added was in place before the engine replacement. So I conclude that were I to add additional ballast, there is an allowable gap of before and after fuel burn to compensate. And most important, I could care less if the fuel burn increased a smidgen. Fuel burn is the least of my expense, if the ride improves. As it is, the boat is at a point of being all that is required for this owner's satisfaction.:whistling:

Al-Ketchikan 27 Marben Pocket CRUISER

5+ years 3.1 GPH including generator time, 1.8 mpg. Twin EH 700 na 175 hp Hinos, 8.0 BTD Westerbeke. I average between 100 to 120 hours a year on the Hinos and 70 to 90 hours on the gen.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom