Color for 1992 Nimble Vagabond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swampfox17

Does anyone know how to locate the proper green gelcoat? I noticed that Nimble was not listed on the iboats link for manufacturers' gelcoat colors by year. I have a relatively flat area on the port bow of about 11"×20" of cracked gelcoat damage--non structural.The two 6 inch cracks radiate out from the through hull fitting that drains the anchor rode locker. A fiberglass guy estimated about $2500---not me. I'll get a big sticker to cover it. Any ideas other than the sticker to find the right color? Maybe I should take a piece of the. cracked gelcoat and get it computer-matched for an automotive paint that would match fairly well.

Although not the original green, I just had the hull on my Nimble Nomad done in Awlgrip Jade Mist Green. The painter at the yard had done several other hunter green hulls in this color and recommended it. Turned out beautiful!
I realize that you are not wanting to paint the entire hull but this can be applied by the roll and tip method also.If you have fiberglass damage, I would definitely get it repaired.
I had some pretty good gelcoat cracks and the painter applied a two part epoxy primer first and faired the hull.

Attachments

• RIMG0574.JPG
    RIMG0574.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 200
  • RIMG0576.JPG
    RIMG0576.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 166
Thanks for the quick replies. That jade mist looks very similar to my buffed-out and waxed original gelcoat. Maybe a full paint job will come later. My wife would rather it be a pretty dark blue with white striping--crisp looking.

If I had to guess, I would think the original was a hunter green. You might try the Nimble Nomad Face Book group too. I think the Vagabonds are pretty neat little boats.

Taking a shot not knowing whether you will see this. Trying to establish a Registry for Nimble Vagabonds and believe you at some point owned one from Middle River, MD. Could you text me at 304 780-1240 to establish contact so I can obtain some information on that Vagabond? It’s MD registration number was MD 9773 CG. My name is Scott Smith

Check out Boatworks Today website. He has a lot of videos on painting the boat DIY. Alexseal paint has an additive that eliminates the need for tipping so it makes it really easy to paint the boat.

I am in contact with nine of the 27 Vagabonds built and am building a database for them. I know of your boat and have many pictures of it and information regarding equipment when it was Maryland registered. I would very much like to add your boat to the data base. Please contact me by text or call at 304 780-1240 or email me at scottthesailor@hotmail.com Thank you. Scott Smith

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom