Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
QUOTE=Rustybarge;421921]This FP 55' is quite pretty...?

Well sir if you could get rid of the black spots on the hull sides (windows?) and the cover over the FB. Indeed quite pretty then. Bottom pics no chance.

Interesting though that the hulls seen in the bottom pic are so beamy. Must be a very capable boat.

Mark even less pretty that one. As you say though "looks the business".

FountainePajotQueensland55_550w.jpg

Q55-Motoring-4-770x410.jpg

DYB4236E.jpg

I like the fb, it would give you a football sized space on top of the boat; in fact you'd have 2 football pitches with the enormous cockpit included.

Greetings,
Mr. R. "Aha, 3 engines" No, no, no. ONE engine. Are you purposely being difficult?

Greetings,
THREAD DRIFT ALERT!!!! Mr. R. "...an underwater pod to stop the prop sucking air ( ventilation)" Not if, as I suggested, an electric or hydraulic "motor" (much smaller physical dimensions and much less need for service access) was put in each pod in lieu of the diesel engines that are usually shoehorned in. The main, single engine could be amidships on the aft deck allowing 360* access for service purposes.

2x electric
1x diesel

This could work well.

Rusty,
Omit or change the brown FB cover. I like the FB too. That's one plus about cats ... they can easily support a FB. And this FB is nice looking.

Rusty,
Omit or change the brown FB cover. I like the FB too. That's one plus about cats ... they can easily support a FB. And this FB is nice looking.

How well does that open FB work when there is precipitation or frigid air?

I'm happy as a camper in an enclosed pilothouse.

Not nearly as well as when in sweet-soft spring, beautiful-sunny summer, or clear-crisp fall days.

That's why quite a few of us boaters have two pilot stations. One in the salon (pilothouse) for the limited number of precipitation/frigid days... and... One for the many, many nice days we spend on the bridge. Such as are the weather conditions in many regions of the world. :thumb:

Woa, that's a lot of boat in 30ft. Not sure about those bulbous bows however. You said you like workboat styling and catamarans, so why not contact the designer? Probably be an interesting conversation.

I reckon the hulls are so massive and wide that they would create lots of drag, but of course they need big load carrying capacity in a fishing trawler.

Maybe the huge deck area was the attraction for fishing?

Rusty,

One of the big bonus' of a cat is meant to be comfortable anchoring out, so a big covered fb would work well; especially if there were proper stairs instead of a ladder.

Of course the elephant in the room is where do you moor a massively wide beast like a big cat.

Sigh ...more compromises !

...you could always build a tuna tower instead of a fb; give you a good view from 20' up. Lol.

I suppose it's nice to have inside/outside steering options to suit the weather.

Mark, I'm with you. Open both side doors, the rear windows, and the roof hatch when you want the open air effect. If I really want to increase the skin cancer risk, I can always go sit on the trunk cabin with the autopilot remote. That usually lasts about 15 minutes and the urge has passed.

Ted

Rusty,
In Bristol Bay in Alaska some law limits the lengtg of gillnetters to 30'. Some of the huge fat boats that law created is discusting. Most of the bows look like the've been cut off and patched. And huge power.

Rusty,
In Bristol Bay in Alaska some law limits the lengtg of gillnetters to 30'. Some of the huge fat boats that law created is discusting. Most of the bows look like the've been cut off and patched. And huge power.

Its the same in the UK/Ireland , the EU imposes quotas on the amount of fish you can catch /lenght of your trawler.

Afik inshore fishermen below 8 mtrs are free of quotas, hence the attraction of small boats.

I saw a show one time about northwest fishing, and the purse seiner pulled in so many fish it couldn't get the net clear of the water. They put a pump into the net and pumped the fish into a huge 'tender' to haul the catch to shore for processing. The narrator said something about regulations of the fishing boat size didn't cover the size of the tender. So the tender was doing much of the work, and the little boats were pulling the nets.

One of my favorites .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 95
Sam Devlin draws beautiful boats doesn't he.

I saw a show one time about northwest fishing, and the purse seiner pulled in so many fish it couldn't get the net clear of the water. They put a pump into the net and pumped the fish into a huge 'tender' to haul the catch to shore for processing. The narrator said something about regulations of the fishing boat size didn't cover the size of the tender. So the tender was doing much of the work, and the little boats were pulling the nets.

That's cheating. Lol.

Some of the european regs force trawlers to dump perfectly good fish back into the sea if they have exceeded their quota: criminal waste of food.

Some of the european regs force trawlers to dump perfectly good fish back into the sea if they have exceeded their quota: criminal waste of food.

Rusty, is your last statement a joke or are you being serious? Considering that 1/3 of all fished species on the planet have now collapsed (defined as more than 90% depleted), perhaps silly things like quotas are important.

There are at least two things to come out of this however: (1) There is serious money to be made in aquaculture; and (2) we could then tax deduct the expensive hobby boat!

Greetings,
Mr. m. Not only are fishermen required to dump excess catch but bycatch (those species they don't have a specific license for) as well. Thousands if not millions of tons of good fish is wasted yearly on a worldwide basis.

Rusty-thanks for the info on the 30' limit. There was one docked down here last year at Shilshole Marina in Seattle, the front 3-4 of the bow was cut off and a steel plate welded on to make a flat nosed bow. We could not see any someone would do that, now I know!

Greetings,
Mr. m. Not only are fishermen required to dump excess catch but bycatch (those species they don't have a specific license for) as well. Thousands if not millions of tons of good fish is wasted yearly on a worldwide basis.

That was the case 30 years ago but is no longer allowed in Canadian waters. Fishing vessels have either an observer or cameras aboard recording every landing, which must be logged and accounted for at the dock. There are vessel quotas for the target specie plus bycatch quotas. Bycatch must be retained. Fishing must stop once any quota limit is approached. A highly regulated industry.

Not nearly as well as when in sweet-soft spring, beautiful-sunny summer, or clear-crisp fall days.

That's why quite a few of us boaters have two pilot stations. One in the salon (pilothouse) for the limited number of precipitation/frigid days... and... One for the many, many nice days we spend on the bridge. Such as are the weather conditions in many regions of the world. :thumb:

With Otto at the helm, there's plenty of time to enjoy/sniff the air. (I'm not a current fan of ultra violet light because I've had much more than enough sailing in an open sailboat's cockpit.)

Last edited:
With Otto at the helm, there's plenty of time to enjoy/sniff the air. (I'm not a current fan of ultra violet light because I've had much more than enough sailing in an open sailboat's cockpit.)

If ever I saw a man that would relish and enjoy a flybridge :)

Greetings,
Mr. g. MY question is: Why is Mr. mp on deck without a life preserver whilst under way AND under auto pilot?

Back
Top Bottom