Carver 326 great loop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flynet35

I am considering the great loop on a Carver 326. Does anyone have experience with this model? My main concern is the*fuel*range, specifically on the leg from Hoppies Marina to Kentucky Dam. The*fuel*capacity on this model is only 162 gals. How should I factor in the advantage and disadvantage of the*Mississippi*and*Ohio*river currents in my fuel calculation. Considering to bring additional 25 gals. Of fuel in jerry cans. Any knowledge and information will be appreciated.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. You're probably the first poster who sees the possibility of doing the "loop" on a non "trawler". I'm assuming you already own the boat and don't feel the necessity to change in order to have an adventure. Good for you. Can't help you with the range problem BUT there are a few on TF who can, I'm sure.

How far is the that log leg you refer to??? And I am assuming you have gasoline engines??? I do know they made that but with 4 cylinder diesels but they are extremely rare. I would imagine you could get at least 2mpg if you travel below hull speed. If you really need to stretch, you could run on one engine. If you could make that leg then the boat would be perfectly fine for the loop. I have its bigger brother...the 356 and I wouldn't hesitate to take my boat. Anyway, good luck!!!!

Yes this 326 has twin 300 hp gasoline engines. The leg length is aprox. 160 miles on mississipi river going with the current and additional 60 miles on Ohio river against current. Total 220. Is it mechanically safe to travel on one engine, downstream. Would I leave the dead engine in neutral spinning the transmision?

The loop has been done on jet skis and in 16 ft outboards , both directions .

A couple of gas cans in the cockpit would ease your concerns.

What is your current range at different speeds? I show at 1500 RPM and 6.6 knots you should have range of over 240 nm. At 18 knots, less than 120 nm. Adjusting speed will help but do you have enough crew on board to make long slow runs?

Personally if I was going to do it in that boat, I'd get a bladder. However, a 100 gallon bladder would cost $700-$1000.

Without some real fuel usage numbers from your boat (I'm pulling from information on a 34' Carver with the same engines), I'd be a bit scared of carrying just 25 gallons extra. You've got another long stretch down the TN Tom.

Otherwise I see no issues in doing the loop in your boat.

We're going to do the loop in a non-trawler. Lot's of people do. You'll see every kind of boat possible. Sail boats with no sails. Hatteras. Sea Ray's.

I'd suggest you do some practice short runs to get a real fix on your fuel consumption as step one.

As to running on one engine, many do so, but I don't see that it would substantially save you. Running at 1000 RPM on two you'd only be moving at about 4.7 knots. Now that gives you another 40 nm of range over 1500 RPM.

You will have no problem with range on the rivers with the 32 Carver. My river and lake experiences are numerous on gas powered vessels either identical to or similar. The key is to know the vessel's range ahead of time at various RPMs and speeds in calm water.

Do not go upstream during heavy rains and runoff. Velocity can be slow. Many more gas stops on Ohio than you may think. Plan ahead, get the current guides out and don't be reluctant to stop for fuel even if only down by a third or so. Be sure to hit Nashville, worth a long stay.

Many more gas stops on Ohio than you may think.

I'm not aware of any stops between Cairo and the KY Dam and we've done that run a few times. There may be some further up river, but not on the section you will be traveling. There will also be times where you are just idling while waiting to lock and that could be hours depending on traffic. I would bring a few extra cans of fuel just in case.

I'm not aware of any stops between Cairo and the KY Dam and we've done that run a few times. There may be some further up river, but not on the section you will be traveling. There will also be times where you are just idling while waiting to lock and that could be hours depending on traffic. I would bring a few extra cans of fuel just in case.

My old book shows several starting at mile marker 902 and going up stream. I googled ORSANCO Marinas and found about half a dozen between mile markers 900 and 750. Many more upstream. On Cumberland no shortage either. But it has been a few decades -------------

Plenty of Marinas to choose from once you get to the Tn or Cumberland, but nothing I'm aware of between Cairo and the dam. If you do head toward Nashville, I recommend the Clarksville Marina. Super friendly staff and a restaurant within walking distance.

Last time we were there, the fuel pumps went out, so one of the guys let us borrow his truck to make several trips to the fuel station to fill up cans. Can't say enough good things about the staff.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom