Taiwanese trawler fuel tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Probably still good to this day.With my luck the guy would be calling me a month after the sale. I have seen the "screw corrosion" thing you mentioned a few times, Even well sunk screws are a problem if the tank supports get wet. Another one of those things where you say "who'da thunk it ?".

I used a pedditt product called Splash of epoxy putty to seal all the pits after wire brushing, acid wash, acetone wash. Smarter people than I advised this. Then epoxy on the tanks.. I wonder if there is a semi flexable, paint on product to coat tanks with?

Seems there may be 2 ways to go. Ventilation or encapsulation. If no moisture or oxygen gets to the metal then no corrosion. I will never know, but I have been told (rightly or wrongly) that manufacturers are now coating their tanks as I did.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. M. I think POR15 makes a 1 part fuel tank coating. As to it's flexibility...I have no idea but POR15 has GREAT products.

Thanks, hopefully I will never have to need it.

My black iron tanks did'nt last 40years. I pulled them out ten years ago and replaced w new aluminum. My water in tanks is almost non- existant because I pump a quart or so out of each tank every two months or so. I bend a 1/8th" copper tube to get to the lowest corner of each tank. I pour the fuel back in and the wTer out. Most all the time there's only 2 or so very small bubbles of water. I'm almost always supprised how little water is in there.

This is a reminder. I'm overdue for the little pumping session.

Back
Top Bottom