View Single Post
Old 03-09-2016, 01:38 PM   #6
BandB
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
What is your current range at different speeds? I show at 1500 RPM and 6.6 knots you should have range of over 240 nm. At 18 knots, less than 120 nm. Adjusting speed will help but do you have enough crew on board to make long slow runs?

Personally if I was going to do it in that boat, I'd get a bladder. However, a 100 gallon bladder would cost $700-$1000.

Without some real fuel usage numbers from your boat (I'm pulling from information on a 34' Carver with the same engines), I'd be a bit scared of carrying just 25 gallons extra. You've got another long stretch down the TN Tom.

Otherwise I see no issues in doing the loop in your boat.

We're going to do the loop in a non-trawler. Lot's of people do. You'll see every kind of boat possible. Sail boats with no sails. Hatteras. Sea Ray's.

I'd suggest you do some practice short runs to get a real fix on your fuel consumption as step one.

As to running on one engine, many do so, but I don't see that it would substantially save you. Running at 1000 RPM on two you'd only be moving at about 4.7 knots. Now that gives you another 40 nm of range over 1500 RPM.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote