Looking for advice on gel coat texture for ceiling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swampu

Guru
Commercial Member
Vessel Name
Cajun Rose
Vessel Make
Biloxi Lugger
I'm working on the overhangs on my boat and would love to use some sort of texture in the gel coat to cut down on the finish time. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Paul
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1457491994.478094.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1457492007.000524.jpg

Greetings,
Mr. s. Why gelcoat? I would think a good paint would be much easier to work with. Maybe wood grain?

3122013105814.jpg

Having seen Mr. i's comment I was thinking KiwiGrip as well. Heck, almost anything with texture or that could be textured could be used. Truck bed liner?

One of the problems I could foresee with gelcoat or paint is that any glossiness would show any bump or seam.

Last edited:
I used Kiwi-Grip on the ceiling of my fore cabin. It covers a lot of sins and depending on the roller used can produce a textured/stippled effect.

Ian Munro
Seattle

Ian, would you mind posting a picture so I could see what it looks like in a large area? Thanks Paul

Can see the full detail from the photo, but would your condition accept a thin veneer of some sort? Contact cement, cut the panels on a table, glue them up...

Ian, would you mind posting a picture so I could see what it looks like in a large area? Thanks Paul

I'm sorry. I have since sold the boat and is no longer available to me. I put two coats on using a rough wool roller. The packaging, since it is primarily used for a deck, said to use a horse hair roller but I didn't want anything that rough.
The thing I liked about it was it didn't splatter over everything as most other finishes would on an overhead. It has a very thick consistency.

Ian Munro
Seattle
Carver 350 Voyager

Back
Top Bottom