Remote anchorages

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Remote for us is being anchored for two or three days and never seeing another boat or any sign of human habitation. Best ones so far were at the top end of Kitkatla Inlet on Porcher Island, and the southernmost basin in Betteridge Inlet on Campania Island.

Wifey B: :eek: Sounds a lot like desolate. :hide: Just teasing. It's whatever one enjoys. I'd be fine in that level of remoteness for about 24 hours.

An isolated anchorage with 13 other boats there? My goodness, I don't have 13 people that live within a mile of me. :blush:

Every anchorage I stay in is remote. Generally 50 NM or more to the nearest marina.

Here in Alaska we rarely will stay in an anchorage where another boat is. There are just so many georgous places to set the hook for the night and so few other boaters that we almost never have to share.

Our area is so remote that google earth doesn't even have close up imagery. :)

Long bay or hidden bay? Northwest PWS

if your experiences are limited to one area of the planet then I guess you only have one set of criteria for remote.

Is there really any other set of criteria other than western BC and Alaska!! :angel::thumb:

Just a few teasers. This is Prince William Sound (PWS) a few years back in middle of April......

Attachments

• A nice day on PWS 4-28-2007.jpg
    A nice day on PWS 4-28-2007.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 118
  • Chugach Range PWS 4-29-2007.jpg
    Chugach Range PWS 4-29-2007.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 111
Greetings,
Mr. ASD. "Is there really any other set of criteria other than western BC and Alaska!!" I can appreciate the beauty of the area but I strongly suspect western BC and Alaska are NOT the center of everyone's the boating universe. Scandinavia, Northeastern Canada, Australia and New Zealand to name but a few, ALL have comparable cruising grounds I'm quite sure.

Madagascar and Brazil, sharing with the locals but still pretty remote IMHO. :)

Attachments

• b-4.jpg
    b-4.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 114
  • Brazil 073.jpg
    Brazil 073.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 110
Remote

Pretty Girl cove eating oysters, cold lake Alberta, gulf islands, desolation sound, west coast Vancouver Island, Pitt lake, gulf island.

For me this is freedom. Lots of stuff we can't do, but a trawler.? Smell the roses., enjoy your freedom that scenes of remote, disconnect.

IMO. Kinda

Best
Of
All
Therapy

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. ASD. "Is there really any other set of criteria other than western BC and Alaska!!" I can appreciate the beauty of the area but I strongly suspect western BC and Alaska are NOT the center of everyone's the boating universe. Scandinavia, Northeastern Canada, Australia and New Zealand to name but a few, ALL have comparable cruising grounds I'm quite sure.

Well RT there are very beautiful places throughout the world and some maybe remote, but BC and Alaska, the pearl gem of remote cruising!:smitten::thumb:

Lot's of remote anchorages in the Bahamas. And you can actually swim there and catch a fish that pulls harder than a sodden tube sock. Reefs and palm trees are good things.

Also, some really nice remote areas in the big bend and eastern panhandle of Florida.

Second the opinion on the 10,000 islands as well.

Remote anchorages are wonderful things and we enjoyed them greatly in the US, Canada and the Bahamas.

Once further south and east in the Caribbean the conventional wisdom is to avoid any isolated situation for security reasons. Noon Site reports all the attacks against cruisers in the Caribbean and those who intend to travel there should become familiar with its information.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom