Gas or electric galley?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Psld,
Where on the east coast is there a remote anchorage? IMO.

Geez Eric, a few fighter jets roaring overhead and outboards puttering around is remote for 99% or TF boaters. BTW PS, I like the idea of a noise activated genset.

Greetings,
"Ever seen a propane I Phone?" Looks to be both an I-phone AND a water heater...Just sayin'

Stop it RT! Don't you know this a serious subject? Now if you filled the kettle with a small Cu and PB anode/cathode and sulfuric acid you have the makings of a good 9V battery :thumb:

Geez Eric, a few fighter jets roaring overhead and outboards puttering around is remote for 99% or TF boaters. BTW PS, I like the idea of a noise activated genset.

There are no remote anchorages....if getting buzzed disqualifies them. :eek:

I buzzed a Catamaran anchored at Cocos Island (275 miles SW of Costa Rica) one time.

Proof was in Multihull magazine a few months later...just happened to be thumbing thru the mag and saw my picture...:D

Hey if they have radio volume on motorcycles that go up and down with traffic/wind noise...why not sound activated econo-throttles like on the little Hondas? :thumb:

Last edited:
Well I finally got my old Onan 7.5 running and it seems to work well. However, the thing is a real paint shaker and is kinda noisy aboard. I am surprised how quiet it is outside the boat with pretty much just the "Gentle splash" heard out side. Like others though I don't like making noise in the morning just to make breakfast so I'll probably at least have a propane grill to BBQ and warm water etc until I feel like vibrating the boat. Unless I did away with the genny I don't think I have a enough room for a huge battery bank/solar to do everything. Or, maybe I should just cut out the ol' leaky forward fuel tank I'm not using and put the battery bank there. Hmm, it's nice to have so many options, makes for interesting discussion.

Kevin

I just lernt iPhone is made by Samsung

Actually a good deal of the components of many iPhones have been Samsung. The overall phones themselves are mostly made by Hong Hai, aka Foxconn. Apple just designs them.

The game changer on land and sea for us is the induction cooktop.

Now with so many solar panels out there keeping batteries topped up, low amperage all electric cooking becomes even more rational. Get a set of Li P or Firefly batteries with a bazillion discharge cycles and electric galleys are even better.
:thumb: My brother & sister in law bought us an induction grill for a boat warming gift. Works great but it does need a "cake save" cover to keep the grease spatter down. We had a propane cook top on our Halvorsen but didn't use it in 8 years of ownership. We always barbecue or use the micro wave. :blush:

Attachments

• IMG_1139.jpg
    IMG_1139.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1141.jpg
    IMG_1141.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 66
Greetings,
Mr. H. Had electric range (220V wired with 110V-sucked BIG time) replaced with 3 burner Princess range (propane).

I expect one's preferences will be influenced both by what they are used to and what type of cooking they do. I have absolutely no experience with induction appliances or convection microwaves so I can't really comment on the cooking advantages/disadvantages of either.

I use our Princess for stove top cooking the oven for roasting, broiling and baking and the microwave for re-heating and limited side dish preparation (steaming veggies, pre-cooking potatoes for grilling). Easy and simple for us. I do grill on occasion so that appliance enters into the equation as well. Not difficult to prepare a 3 or 4 course dinner for 6-8 or just the two of us.

The ONE thing I do lack is the recipe for Bahamian bread. My bread is quite good (even if I do say so myself) but pales in comparison to that melt-in-your-mouth ambrosia that every bakery in the Bahamas seems to have.

giphy.gif

When we purchased our Defever 44 it had the original Princess electric range. The burners took forever to heat up and the oven was smaaal. We trashed it. In its place covering the 20 x 25 opening is a one-inch thick cutting board. Underneath is a newly-installed shelf with enough room left over for a trash can and more. We cook using a portable two-burner induction cook top that works quite well. For particularly smoky or odoriferous (is that a word?) cooking, I move the cook top to the sundeck and cook outside. I am thinking about installing a permanent induction cook top in the cutting board which would still leave me a decent amount of cutting board to use as a cutting board which would be plugged into the dedicated shore power or generator power circuit.

We are still struggling with what to do about the lack of an oven. At home we make a pizza for supper (home-made dough)nearly every Saturday which requires at least 500 degrees and preferable 550 or more. Baker's Pride makes a table top pizza oven and a regular oven that we are considering but they are costly, about $1,500 but a new marine range is about the same price. Plus, it would eat up valuable counter top space. I do wish there were a convection microwave combo oven that would give me 550 degrees but I don't think one exists. Oh well, everything is a compromise on a boat.

One poster claimed (s)he found an induction cook top as controllable as gas. That may be true but I am thinking that it would be an acquired skill. In any case, we love the induction cook top and believe it to be an excellent choice for a galley refit.

When we purchased our Defever 44 it had the original Princess electric range. The burners took forever to heat up and the oven was smaaal.

I always wonder when I hear comments like the one above. Did you have a 240 volt stove or 240 volt burners?

The reason I ask is that I have a princess stove and oven vintage 2001. I put a pot of water for tea on it and it's hot in about 5 minutes.

Yes, the oven is small but you can only fit so big of an oven in so much space.

I just cannot imagine ripping out a stove and replacing it with a piece of wood.

I always wonder when I hear comments like the one above. Did you have a 240 volt stove or 240 volt burners?

The reason I ask is that I have a princess stove and oven vintage 2001. I put a pot of water for tea on it and it's hot in about 5 minutes.

Yes, the oven is small but you can only fit so big of an oven in so much space.

I just cannot imagine ripping out a stove and replacing it with a piece of wood.

I ripped out the stove primarily because it was junk, unsightly, unclean-able, not something one would be proud to be seen. But you raise a good question as to voltage. I think it was 120V, not 240V. If 240V then I would have expected quicker heating. As for the piece of wood, we are quite happy with it. In the end we are likely to cut out a portion of it to drop in an induction cook top with enough "wood" left over to make for a nice, usefully large cutting board. If I had 240V power supply, I would have opted for a household 20-inch stove with a decent-sized oven rather than those almost useless ovens found in marine ranges. So, given that (IMHO) the ovens in marine ranges are useless, then opting for just a cook top and using the underside for additional storage seems to me to make good sense.

I ripped out the stove primarily because it was junk, unsightly, unclean-able, not something one would be proud to be seen. But you raise a good question as to voltage. I think it was 120V, not 240V. If 240V then I would have expected quicker heating. As for the piece of wood, we are quite happy with it. In the end we are likely to cut out a portion of it to drop in an induction cook top with enough "wood" left over to make for a nice, usefully large cutting board. If I had 240V power supply, I would have opted for a household 20-inch stove with a decent-sized oven rather than those almost useless ovens found in marine ranges. So, given that (IMHO) the ovens in marine ranges are useless, then opting for just a cook top and using the underside for additional storage seems to me to make good sense.

Was it one of these?

gally3.JPG

...snip...

We are still struggling with what to do about the lack of an oven. At home we make a pizza for supper (home-made dough)nearly every Saturday which requires at least 500 degrees and preferable 550 or more. Baker's Pride makes a table top pizza oven and a regular oven that we are considering but they are costly, about $1,500 but a new marine range is about the same price. Plus, it would eat up valuable counter top space. I do wish there were a convection microwave combo oven that would give me 550 degrees but I don't think one exists. Oh well, everything is a compromise on a boat.
....snip....

A BBQ with a lid should work. Eg Weber BabyQ, Zeigler & Brown. Probably others, some might be cheaper (and junk, or not). If you have two burners, preferably 3 then getting the heat is no problem. Decent brands have accessories needed for pizza.

If your boat comes equipped with an electric galley and air conditioning, just make sure you have an adequate genset aboard. Have none of that, thank you.

If your boat comes equipped with an electric galley and air conditioning, just make sure you have an adequate genset aboard. Have none of that, thank you.

We have a 12.5Kw Kohler and a 7.7Kw Westerbeke aboard. What's nice about having them is I can use them or not use them. Not aboard, then options greatly limited.

We have a Magic Chef propane stove/oven. Our propane tank is only 1 gallon so I bought a new spare 1 gallon tank plus a steak saver as a backup to the spare. In a 5 week cruise to the east coast of FL, we only used 0.6 gal of propane! I wish our fridge was propane too.
OTOH, we just met a fellow trawler owner with an electric stove. You don't even make a cup of tea without starting up the generator or having a large inverter on-board or hooked to shorepower.

Last edited:
Hummm. When away from the dock I make a pot with the Mr Coffee without using genset. No problem. It all depends on cruising style and equipment as to what works for you.

These threads always morph into is a genset good or bad. Tis a shame because for one's particular boat size, setup and desires - coffee and soup can be made via so many means . In the old days the Coleman, dutch oven or alcohol stove worked wonders.

sunchaser; said:
These threads always morph into is a genset good or bad.
;)Yeah, I kinda noticed that too.

Toss in a half dozen irrelevant pictures that take up 7/8 of the acreage and the simple Q&A wouldn't have gone beyond page 1.

Gives me something to read while on the throne though.

We replaced our 20+ year old propane Princess with a new electric Princess when we purchased Poach. I don't like propane's moisture issues nor the risk of fire or worse. We generally only cook on the stove at supper time when we run the genset to top off the batteries. I agree we use the bbq more than the stove. The stove gets hot in a reasonable amount of time and stays hot. The oven is smaller than the one at the house, but I have never thought it inadequate. Coffee and the toaster if used, are off the inverter.

If we were still in Alaska I'd would like a generator. When at anchor usually nobody to irritate but here in WA I don't know if I'm going to be able to cope w all the people and boats. Have'nt really got out there yet so don't really know.

But we don't have room or the money for electric stoves and a generator. So we are stuck w the propane but truthfully I can't imagine not using it even if we had a 50' boat and bags of money. I just don't see anything wrong with it. But I'd like to have the gen and a get home and lots of other stuff.

But I'd still use a propane cook stove and when we arrived at an anchorage our house batts would be fully charged. So with our new LED lights and being frugal about other electrical consumption I really don't see that we'd need to run "our" generator at anchor ... unless we stayed multiple days in the same anchorage. And then we could run the generator in the middle of the afternoon.

Having said that why don't others do what I just outlined and rarely run the generator in the morning or evening at anchor? I've never had a gen and there are elements of this that I'm not aware of. But I sure don't see it. It looks like people just run generators because it's convenient.

Convenient | Definition of Convenient by Merriam-Webster

Full Definition of convenient
  1. 1 obsolete : suitable, proper
  2. 2 a : suited to personal comfort or to easy performance <meeting at a convenient time>b : suited to a particular situation <a convenient excuse>c : affording accommodation or advantage <found it convenient to deal with both problems at the same time>
  3. 3 : being near at hand : close <a location convenient to the train station>
:D.....yep on all accounts

Having said that why don't others do what I just outlined and rarely run the generator in the morning or evening at anchor? I've never had a gen and there are elements of this that I'm not aware of. But I sure don't see it. It looks like people just run generators because it's convenient.

Because many have all 110 systems. They need to run the genset for cooking, hot water, entertainment systems, etc.... Most of do the majority of our cooking in the morning and the evening. Those that like to watch television etc... will do it in the evening for the most part. They use the genset for more than just charging the batteries.

Because many have all 110 systems. They need to run the genset for cooking, hot water, entertainment systems, etc.... Most of do the majority of our cooking in the morning and the evening. Those that like to watch television etc... will do it in the evening for the most part. They use the genset for more than just charging the batteries.

Thank you...and for those that don't even get what you just said....here's a bit more for them...:thumb:

My boat is my home...not some weekender or a couple time a year week escape tool....I am on it 365X24....I am NOT trying to "get away from it all".....telling me to go without anything is like telling any homeowner to "rough it"...bullcrap. :eek:

Fine, be a minimalist ....I don't care...and recommend being a minimalist to others. But telling me how to run or enjoy my boat is hysterical. Better than the comedy channel......:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I guess I would agree that for us genset use is purely a matter of convenience, and I am fine with that. But my boat consumes so much electricity that the impact on our lifestyle of not running the genset 24/7 would be intolerable.
By the way, our genset is so quiet, I am confident that it cannot be heard by other boaters.

I boat along the Gulf Coast. Temps dictate use of A/Cs. I have as many hours on the genny as the mains. My boat is an electric pig; electric stove, 110ac refrig, hot water, along with stereo and tvs. When at anchor genny runs all night. Next morning after breakfast, coffee and clean-up I'll get underway then stop the genny for several hours until heat becomes an issue again.

Galley hardware that has evolved over the years, and what they run on:

Coffee maker- inv or gen
Rice cooker- inv or gen
Toaster over- inv or gen
Hot plate- gen
Fridge- inv or gen
One burner stove- camp propane bottle
Grill- camp propane bottle

I had a microwave, but it ate too much space and I rarely used it. And hated the stupidly complex keypad controls. Gone.

I can run any one of the electric items on the 1kW inverter, but if more than one, gen is on. Usually AC is on while cooking, so gen is already on.

All the galley stuff can stash away while cruising to minimize clutter.

Ski,
We can make coffee on the propane stove ..... ect ect ect. And we use 7gallons of ice when we're away for many days. Guess we really don't need a generator. And that is good. But I admit if we lived in Florida we'd get a gen for the AC. But I would'nt live in a place that was so hostile we'd have to treat the air before it was tollerable.

I'm one of the few with an alcohol stove. I'd rate it preferable to electric, but I'd rather have propane if it wasn't so costly to install and certify.

Alcohol stoves can be dangerous if someone doesn't know how to use them, but I don't have a problem with it, other than it doesn't quite give off as much heat as propane.

I also have a portable butane cartridge stove that I use when cooking a big meal, or need a hot flame for a wok or crab pot.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom